Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helmet or no helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:23 AM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet or no helmet??

I do and I don't.

I do when I am on the dirtbike for sure anytime. The quads, when racing through the woods I do but going to the mailbox or just poking around on the property looking at the flowers I don't.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Very good point ALIENRaptor.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone that rides hard should know from expirience....most who ride hard have taken a tumble or 5 on their heads and have been greatful for that helmut.....what amazes me are the people that ride hard w/o helmuts on -to each their on- but don't expect me to give them sympothy when they get hurt.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

I expect no sympathy from anyone

Old 07-02-2003, 01:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ever see the commercial with a guy mowing his yard (on a quad with a pull behind mower) and he has a helmet on? Isn't that going a little too far? Should people wear helmets on the riding mower.
How about all those farmers driving all over without helmets on those tractors?

I don't wear a helmet most of the time and the others that I ride with don't either. But my average speed is around 12 mph out in the woods looking for wildlife. (I know something could occur even at such a low speed) I know it's a good idea to wear one but it really does seem restricting. You can't hear a twig break under the foot of a deer or see something run out because your vision is limited.
I would suggest that people wear one. When and if I get a new sports quad, I'll have one on. It is nice to have a helmet and goggles on when the dust and rock chips are flying.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

I wear one. I have to keep up my good looks because god only knows that Tyra Banks won't love me if I have road rash face. The only preaching I will do is I hope also that you dont become some liberal politicians stat on why ATV's should be banned.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

When it comes to helmets and riding I'm a strong beliver in do what ya want. But I gotta speak up on the insurance issues. I think it's safe to say that it's less likely to have a serious injury with a helmet on VS. without - in the big picture. When injuries occur and insurance companies have to pay out claims it costs THEM money. These costs ARE PASSED ON TO THE CONSUMER.

It's flat out simple thinking to assume that insurance companies absorb any of these costs. This is just another reason premiums are at an all time high - for everyone. Less injuries = less costs for the insurance companies = lower premiums for us (in an ideal world).......Although, the insurance companies are probably gonna keep screwing us anyway.......

Just a differnt spin on it.

By the way I wear a helmet because even after 15 years of riding I'm still learning and more often than not find myself out-of-my-envelope. I've smacked the ground too many times not to wear a helmet ! The desert is unforgiving so I wear as much "beer gear" as possible.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

I wear my helmet almost all the time, I feel naked without it. At one time I never did but I do all the time now. I'm sure your friends and family don't want you to be a vegetable or be dead, they would miss you. If I never wore my helmet I know for a fact I would have to have my jaw wired up because two times I have nailed my chin on the handle bar clamp and if it wasn't for the helmet I would have no jaw.

Riding with no helmet is extremly selfish if you think it will only affect you, I know the little kids and teens think its cool to not wear one and it might impare your vision or some crap.

Also you don't know what other people are going to do, maybe a rock from another quad will get thrown your way and knock you senseless or bust your teeth into a million pieces. That sounds like fun, doesn't it? Maybe a mechanical failure will happen and you will roll the quad wide open down the trail or road, getting gravel pushed into your brain sounds like a fun time.

Just think about and try to stop acting cool and help the sport out, we don't need statistics we need people to help the sport out not destroy it. Again, I say, THINK ABOUT IT.....wear your helmet.

Also if your just going to putt in 1st gear on your lawn checking out the flowers thats ok, what if a friend comes ripping by and his quad fails and hits you. But thats the risk of life, you never know if that would happen and you wouldn't think wearing a helmet checking out the flowers would save your life.

In closing I would like to say one thing....THINK ABOUT IT......don't hit the reply button and just babble nonsense, sit down, think about it and wonder what it would be like to be a vegetable, sit there and drool for a couple of hours and ignore everyone around you. Then you might get the picture.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

I think people who don't wear helmets are organ doners. And I may need a liver some day. I only have a sport quad so I always wear at least my helmet and boots because I cant go slow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 02:24 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: bbertram

Also if your just going to putt in 1st gear on your lawn checking out the flowers thats ok, what if a friend comes ripping by and his quad fails and hits you. But thats the risk of life, you never know if that would happen and you wouldn't think wearing a helmet checking out the flowers would save your life.
All I can say at my place this won't occur looking at the flowers. I have to worry about some wild turkey jumping up protecting its little ones in the tall grass and that is the resaon I carry a handgun for personal protection.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Chet

Quick Reply: Helmet or no helmet??