Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fox Air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Air suspension?

I found some info on some air shocks that fox has just realeased and i wanted top know if anyone knew what the purpoe and advantages are,they look pretty cool..

Fox recently announced its newest product for the snowmobile market, the FLOAT AirShox. The FLOAT (Fox Load Optimizing Air Technology) shocks will allow adjustment of the spring rate and preload with air to make any size rider’s journey more comfortable.

The AirShox feature a mono-tube aluminum hard-anodized body, adjustable air volume sleeve, race-proven piston design, adjustable force-sensitive shim damping system and a hard-chrome shaft. They are revalvable and rebuildable and claim to shave off 4 to 6 pounds of weight compared to stock.

But what do snowmobile shocks have to do with ATVs? Well, Ski-Doo and Arctic Cat snowmobiles have a dual A-arm setup very similar to race quads. We can assume, then, that the FLOAT AirShox technology — if it works for those sleds — would be easily transferred to ATVs. As soon as we thought about the possibility, we saw the shocks on a Polaris Predator. For more information, visit www.foxracingshox.com.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i run a set of fox airshox, valved and chromed by PEP. They are awesome shocks ONCE PEP gets done with them. They were garbage before wayne touched them

Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very weary of air shocks!! I have a FOX FLOAT on a mountain bike right now. The thing has some advantages, but it WILL NOT HOLD ITS PRESSURE OVERNIGHT, so I have to refill it before EVERY RIDE (and I ride every day)!! God forbid that you go on an overnight trip, and forget the pump for the shock! It has a lockout feature, and you would have to use it if you forget the pump.

I had a very early model (also FOX) on a mountain bike in the late 80's, and it was even worse!! The thing was terrible. I quickly replaced it with a coil over shock. The reason I was willing to try one again, was that I thought after a dozen plus years, they might have perfected the thing---APPARENTLY NOT!!

Old 07-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Doesn't Shaw still make air shocks for drag racing? I wouldn't think that air shocks could hold to MX or GNCC style racing. I hope that Fox can prove me wrong, though, because you could save a lot of weight and have tons of adjustability.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

mountain biking and gnc are totally different fields. A shock done by somebody with half a brain will get your fox shoxx to work. PEP did ours and they hold air fine. About every 3 months we have them re-charged.

Yes marvins are also nitrogen filled. A full set of marvins will save you 15 pounds over stock stocks.

Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Range Rover

Any pics of these fox air shocks?