Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

should nerf bars be standard safety equiptment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should nerf bars be standard safety equiptment?

Maybe not factory equiped, however race quads (desert, mx, TT, )should have them...however they do interfere in the woods

I've wasted my knee after getting rolled through the axle with nerfs so they arn't a cure all

Old 07-03-2003, 03:43 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Heel gaurds ccan get in the way of your boots when you really lean back, ie going through the whoops or down a big hill. I removed them because it dosen't allow me to leverage my boots against the rear of the pegs. But its risky, if your foot gets i there OUCH. I had what Jay is describing happen, only I didn't ruin my knee, just got some neat bruises. There is no way to protect for everything.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I think good boots are as important as nerfs. I never ride without them on.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

It may be important for the industry to put them on. Buyers can always take them off. I am sure the number of people visiting the emergency room would go down.

/Jon

Old 07-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

I will never own another quad without them. The AC pro-pegs I picked up a couple of weeks ago are really sweet. THey come with a real trick set of aluminum heel gaurds.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

The first safety mod I made was nerf bars, had them on for a couple of months, thought they looked hokey, and took them off. Now my Raptor looked sportier, put my foot down a couple of times, ran over it, just about tore my boot off. Keep putting my feet down when I should be leaning opposite direction in a sticky sitsuation, again got myself in trouble. I was sidehilling tilted to the right, bike stalled put right foot down, dumb, tumbled down over and over, ouch!
Bottom line, nerfs are back on, they are definitely worth having and should be a requirement from factory.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

14 mins-DS Rider told me a lot about you.Have been trying to contact you.Is there an E-Mail address.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

O come on people....Factory Equipment, give me a break, take some personal responsibility. The ONLY thing I might question having them on would be a child's bike. It should still be the parent responsibility to do it, but some parents won't because they don't understand. If you start bui;ding these things to be 100% safe and then one part of it fails, for WHATEVER reason, then its on the manufacter. NOT a good idea IMHO.

Old 07-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I must be the only one here but i hate nerf bars..I had them on my blaster for about a week and the netting would always get caught on stumps and crap like that and jerk me around....Maybe if i rode in a open area with no trees and stuff id like them but stock heelgaurds are enuff..

Old 07-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Nerf bars are a must for racing, but they do need to do something about the netting. The nets need to be made so that there is no possible way to get your foot caught in them. The nets should attach to the frame, if at all possible. There should be no way to get get your foot wedged in there.

Quick Reply: should nerf bars be standard safety equiptment?