Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone dyno their Quicksilver carb???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dyno their Quicksilver carb???

Just curious if it gave any more HP, I dont really think it would figuring dual 33's vs a 42 or whatever it is... Im just sick of the stockers now and I dont want to mess with my motor, pipe, and whatever else it takes for the FCR's. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

I know that there are a couple guys running the Quicksilver, but I don't know what other mods they have or if they've been dynoed. RR1 (is that short for RaptorRacer1?) has a pretty stock engine and runs a QS, from what I've heard. Maybe ask him, he might know.

There are lots of advantages to the Edelbrock-- much easier adjustment, better throttle response, more power everywhere. I do not know how they affect power on built engines, but I wouldn't think that they are for drag machines. I have one in a box ready to be installed, and I plan on turning my raptor into a 686 machine, but I'm all about a smooth powerband and woods riding, so I am hoping that it works good for me.

That and you can usually get one for a little over $500 compared to $800+ for FCRs.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in that same limbo area. I want FCRs but with the quicksilver running $300+ less it's pretty attractive. I understand the FCRs make more power but the quicksilver needs less tuning and is supposed to be more forgiving with altitude changes.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I ran a Raptor with a Quicksilver last weekend. Appearance of the quad.....different color fenders, Elkas with the pigs up front (not sure about the back), CT full pipe, Quicksilver carb, and some odd Japanese writing here and there.
Run #1 everyone lines up (6 quads 2 modded 400ex's, a Z400 stock, me, and other Raptor, and a mild Banshee). I pull 5+ lengths on everyone by shifting onto 2nd gear.....and adding FAST through approx 100 yds.. I asume a final 10 lengths on the shee and 15 on the other Raptor. Note....the stock Z400 spanked both modded 400ex's, I thought that was impressive.
The Raptor owner pulls back around and says DAYUM, what you got done too that......I have EVERYTHING done too mine? I give the honest spill and we line up again.
Run #2.....everyone sits on the fence but me and the other Raptor. I pull out harder and pull him more.....no doubt 20 lengths alltogether.
Run #3.....see run 2.
Run #4.....I wheelie through second and had too let off and he pulled back on me...but never goes around me...I pull back away towards the end of the run.

After all was said and done he changed his tune and said he was only piped with the Edelbrock carb......if I got spanked like that I would probably lie too LMAO!
There is the run down, and the owner said (this is what I have been getting at) he did not like the Edelbrock carb and the way it performs. The thing looks freakin' tiny on there too. Take my opinion and results as you will.....but those are the facts.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

I will post the dyno results within the next 24 hours. They will be on my personal gallery page. The Edelbrock did add more power across the RPM range, but mostly down low. One thing to remember, the thumb throttle action is extremely stiff. If you are planning on using it for woods you will need to build up your thumb stamina or buy a different thumb throttle assembly.

The ease of adjustment is EXTREMELY great. 15 minutes max. 2 minutes if you have the front plastic off already. I will not use it for GNCC racing, but for everything else, I love it.

RR1

Old 07-05-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

BTW, here are my specs,

Edelbrock carb, stock engine, pingry airbox, pro-flow foam filter, dyna ignition stock curve, yosh pipe with SA.

RR1

p.s. I will dyno again with the Edelbrock after my bearing and rear brake problems are fixed.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks man, I just got a stock bore built machine and was looking at diff carbs, I ride at glamis and my main attraction is oldsmobile... love to see the $3000+ machines get beat by my $1000ish on sand sharks...