Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cams for warrior

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams for warrior

I have a 99 warrior that I bought from a salvage yard. I should have realized after replacing all of the bearings and repairing everything that was not put back together right, that I should have checked the engine. The bolt holding on my cam sprocket was not tighten down so while I was riding it this weekend for only the second time the sprocket loosened up and my motor jumped the timing. Well when that happened my piston slammed my exhaust valve and bent it. Plus as an extra bonus the pin that keyes the sprocket on the cam ripped out of the cam which ruined my cam and is in the bottom of my engine. My question is to anyone who has bought any cams, what do they think of them? I got the pricing on a couple of cams and I am leaning towards a hot cam with new tit. spring kit, new wisco piston, and new stainless valves. So, any help. Thanks

Old 07-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default cams for warrior

As of a couple weeks ago Hot Cams did not have any Warrior cams produced yet . Call them

Their price seems great considering they dont mess around with the core charge. Seems everybody else charges around $100 or more for a core charge if ya dont have a useable core - that puts the cost up to $240 or so for a cam (without a core).....And, if the inner bearing surface is shot (likely on an old cam?) the core is no good. That's one of the reasons I went with OEM ($135). Powroll and Web Cam have decent sites to check.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cams for warrior

i called them today and the hot cam with no core charge was only 135. That was the best price i found and its just as cheap as stock. I found it in a Dirt Wheels ad the place is called Midwest Action.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default cams for warrior

Yep - I was all excited about the hot Cams too but on the phone, the Hot Cams guy told me they had not produced any of the Warrior Cams yet and they were not available. They are advertised in lots of mags/catalogs but I'll bet they are not in stock.. I was in a hurry to get back on the road so I went OEM.....Give em a call, maybe thay are available now but I was disappointed cause the price is right !

Hopefully, they are available now cause it seems like a nice way to go.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cams for warrior

I talked to the guy and he said he could get it for me as soon as I needed it. I am wondering if the cam Alba sells might be the same cam since it is right at the same price. I tried calling Hot Cams today, but they where all ready closed.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default cams for warrior

Eh, my alba cam was 160 no core charge. As for that little pin, flush the motor out, it has a bunch of baffles to keep stuff that falls down from getting back in the motor if you look at a diagram so it should just be sitting in the bottom somewhere waiting for you to flush it out. Just hope it dosent get into any little holes where it can get stuck or find any bearings to play with. Of course, you could just pull off the flywheel cover and get it out manually.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default cams for warrior

10-4, I probably should have waited but I'm too impatient [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I just finished a total head re-build on my 1990 Warrior and it's runnin great ! I replaced the cam/rockers & shafts/valves/springs/seals/valve job/cam bearings - everything except the actual head.

My heart told me to go with all "performance" parts but my checkbook disagreed and I went with an all OEM parts. It should be good for another 13 years !?

Old 07-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cams for warrior

Okay I called hot cam today and you are right. I was pissed when the guy told me that the cam is still in testing. So, I will probably go with the Alba cam. I can't believe you could not get the same aftermarket parts for the same price if not cheaper. I have found that a lot of after market parts are only a few dollars more if that. I have found to get the best prices I am going to have buy a couple of pieces here and there because no one in this industry will match somebody elses prices. I know the Yamaha shop by my house is exspensive as hell. So, how did the work you did on your wheeler turn out?

Old 07-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default cams for warrior

Bummer on the Hot Cam - seems thay are advertising way before release. That way they dont have to update the 2003 catalogs, etc . It's frustrating [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Having my local Yam shop do ANY work is about $50/hr. and I am pretty good friends and ride with two of the mechanics there. Unfortunately, I refuse to pay to have them do anything - nice guys but I feel I can learn and do it just as well and likely be more concerned with a qulity job. It's sorta like having a pilot buddy and not being willing to have your family fly with him - nice guy, but.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Plus, I kinda like learning and doing things myself - they are cool with it and pull me out of the weeds when I have questions.

So far the two major jobs I have done is an 02 Raptor transmission conversion (with the help of raptortranny.com) and my warrior head rebuild. Both have been very sucessful and NO LEAKS ! It's not that tough if you have a service manual, torque wrench and some patience. Go for it yourself - I learned a couple tricks along the way and there are really no special tools reqd for the Warrior head - just a bit of patience. The best part is that now I feel I understand how the damn thing really works.

There is a lot of info on this forum as well - grab a wrench and get started !

Old 07-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default cams for warrior

Yea I have kinda of the same deal too. My dad is a mechanic, but lives in Fla. and I live in Texas. The nice thing about having a digital camera and the internet is I can takie a pic and email it to him. I also my best friend who I ride with is a very good mechanic and is going to come down and we are doing this as a project. Its hard enough to have to pay for parts, and then add in labor. If I did not just dig in and try to do it myself then I would not have a wheeler. That is why I bought it at a salvage yard. I got a good price, the wheeler needed a lot of work. Its basically 3 wrecked wheeler made into one. The only thing on it that was new was the frame which is why I decided to get it. When I got it home I ripped it down to the frame and rebuilt everything every bearing from the swing arm pivot bearing on back ( as far as bearings and seals) is new. The guy who put this thing together just had a big jar of bolts and started bolting together. When I first started working on it I was wondering if it was the right decision, but hey I finally had a four wheeler. Eventaully I had fun especaillay when my son would come out and pretend to help me. He is only 4 so every socket I have would be out of the case and on the floor. When I started lokking for a cam I remeber reading a thread you had or where talking in about your head work. I like this site it has a whole lot of info on everything. Thanks for helping me out.

Quick Reply: cams for warrior