Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Drag race "christmas tree" where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag race "christmas tree" where to buy?

I am putting in a strip behind my house. 300ft that should be done today. I am trying to find a place to buy a "chistmas" style tree, but the only ones that I have seen are around 2Grand. Is there somewhere to buy a cheep light set up for just practice, test and tune, and maybe a few races agains friends? I'm not trying to run the frekin NHRA finals at my house or anyting but 2G seems a little high for a timing light.

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

look in jegs or on ebay

Old 07-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Try Port-A-Tree
There was no prices on their web site but they had several diffrent styles of trees from a single sided tree to a NHRA tree.
You might call them to see what the could do.
Keep in mind that these systems require a PC to run the tree.
Port a tree does have a hand held practice unit that can run a full size tree
Other than that maybe try e-bay for a used one.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Moose,

Thanks I just found the prices on their site, and it looks like you can get about everyhing you need for around 7-8hundred bucks. That is alot better price then the ones that I was looking at.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I appreciate the info also. The quads around here have gotten so fast and close together a tree is mandantory.

Moose- Do you know who owns the lights that were used at the midwest sandfest last year?? Are you going to use them at your event?

Old 07-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think the shop in the park owns them, but I'm not sure.
they should have a seprate drag strip up by our dunes & drags weekend & if so we'll use that.
We are not concentrating on drag racing & hill shooting, you & DRW do that just fine.
We are mostly just going to play & the racing will be low key & mostly challange matches.
We decided not to set any classes or anything just make it a more laid back trip that even the non racers would enjoy.

We're hoping to introduce dune riding to people who haven't had the opportunity to try it.
There will be enough long time duners around to help out the newbies, you & I know how fun the dunes can be we're hoping to have a bunch of people out to enjoy a new (for them) side of the sport.
I remember my first trip to the dunes in the 70's & want to share that feeling with others.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Moose- That sounds like a great idea. I think a lot of the members spend more time talking to each other than actual racing when they go to these group events. Challenge races seem to work the best, cause they move faster and you do not have to wait to use the strip. That is part of what we do around here. Spend the morning and early afternoon running whoever you want and fine tuning. Shut down and do the races and then open it back up to all again. When we go to asphault tracks you sometimes are lucky to get 5 runs in all night because of the cars etc. I know dunedevil had rented the whole upper lot at little sahara for snake hunt for forum members to use. Larry (store owner) screwed him over but that would be cool to have the entire area for forum members to camp at. I hope you or your site looks into that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Since our event is Oct, 3rd, 4th & 5th I don't think finding a big spot for all of us to camp in will be a problem.
I prefer camping in the north Cowboy camp, it's much more laid back, but we'll proably be in the South camp for the dunes & drags weekend, we don't want to start the newbies into the big dunes their first trip in the sand!!

Old 07-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you can get an electrician too play around with the idea, you could get by cheap. Next, it would be cool too have a devise that determines ET.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

jegs has one for 500

Quick Reply: Drag race "christmas tree" where to buy?