Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

engine seized or something

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine seized or something

hey guys hows it going. i was on my banshee today riding around for a while and the bike was working excellent. i was getting ready to put it away but it stalled on me. i ent to start it back up and the kick start was stuck soild. i said oh oh and tried it agian but it was still wouldent move. i put it in nutural and pushed it in my driveway. i quickly put oil down the cylinders and waited but nothing. i then took off the cylinder head to see inside but it looks o.k. i put a ratchet and socked on the crank nut and the pistons move only about an inch. but with the kick start it wont move at all. could it be the transmission. thanks guys.

Old 07-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

i think your engine is probably seized

Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Do both pistons move freely for about an inch. Remove the transmission fill plug close to the kick start and use a flash light to look in. You should be able to see your kick start gear move freely in and out to another gear (idle gear).

Old 07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

hey hows it going, i got your feed back. last night i stripped down the engine took of everything on the engine. then i pulled the block of of each piston. but the pistons are perfect both of them have no scratches. with both cylinders off i then tried to use the kick start to see if the engine would turn over but it wouldent. so i dont think it is the engine. with a ratchet and socket on the crank bolt i can make them both move about an inch but with the kick start nothing moves. could there be a gear that broke of in side the tranny. thanks alot and ill ckeck the kick start to see if it goes from gear to gear.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey,,
the same thing happened to my banshee, the kick is stuck solid. I asked around and some thought it might have been the crankshaft. Im taking it in to get looked at on july 15th, and ill let ya know what's goin on with it ,, or if you find out somthin let me know.
Brad

Old 07-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

the same thing happend to yours to. i guess we got bad luck or something hehe. i drained my oil a couple of hours ago and i am pretty sure that the transmission oil is full of little metal fileings. oh oh this does not look good. i might take off the side of the engine where the dip stick is and see if theres anything broke in there. i am pretty sure that the tranny blew up. but dont know for sure. if i find out what the problem is i will let you know. thanks.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

This already happened to my old quadsport230. Everything was going fine until It stalled on me with a little screeching coming from the engine. The kickstarter was jammed. The rod lower bearing had seized so I had to machine the crankshaft, buy a new rod and a new rod bearing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

i took off the side caseing a few minuts ago and found a peice of aluminum laying on top of the crank shaft sprocket. then i looked better and saw that there was more metal in between the crank shaft sprocket and the sprocket in behind the clutch. thats why the kick start would not move i took a stright screw driver and hammer and beat the peice of metal out of there and now the engine turns freely. i am not sure where the metal came from but i am pretty sure that it came from the clutch. i put in a racing clutch a few years ago i think its barrnet and around the whole clutch assembly you can see the clutches and steels that come through the clutch houseing. in each slot there is 7 plates comeing through the clutch houseing and there is probally 10 slots on the houseing. but on one slot there is only 6 showing so i think one must of broke off and thats where the metal came from.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

i found the problem with my bike. whoo what a relif. i thought it was something much worse. ya it is the clutch. when i was takeing apart the clutches and steels the first 5 were fine but when i grabbed the 6th well there was about 7 peices of the clutch that fell on the floor. all the steels look good though. will i have to get a new clutch like then whole thing or can i just replace the one clutch peice.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Replace all of the fibers and steels. Use STOCK parts!!! They work the best. I am not real happy with the barnett kits I have used. I like using the YZ490 springs for a little more bite. Some guys run 3 stock with 3 YZ springs so it is easier to pull. Also, while you are there, modify your shift star. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to shift with this mod.

Lumboy1022, do you do any flat track racing? We go up every once in a while to BET at belleville to race on that track. I will be racing at the Belle Clair fairgrounds this fall also. I live about 3 hours from you, but we race up there when there isn't a race around here. Also, my girlfriend is from belleville. Her little bro plays ball at the diamonds in millstadt.

Quick Reply: engine seized or something