Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450 VS Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

Originally posted by: mudslinger400z
Ridley have you dynoed your yfz yet or are you going to? That thread about fmf dynoing it seems like bs to me. I don't remember who posted it but some of the yfz flamers are using it as kinda like a guideline to point out a yfz's stock hp isn't very high. If you do post it so we can know for sure because I still haven't seen a factual post about the stock hp. A piped raptor makes about 38hp or more don't it? I figured the yfz was some where around that or higher.

Stock Raptors are around 36-38. And piped Raptors are usually around 45.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

hey riley, how does the new yzf 450 compare to the local cdales. i haven't seen one here yet, but they sound like the next big improvement to the atv line up. i talked with a friend of mine that works at the yamaha dealership. he said the yzf450 was pretty close to the cdale in power in the mid range and top end. he rides a stock cannibal w/ slip on hmf muffler. if this is so, then the yzf450 should be a real mx screamer. he also said the suspension was awsome for a stock quad and the quad was extremly light feeling. i hope yamaha sells every last one of them and gets seriously involved with atv racing.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

How many hours do you have on yours now Ridley?

Old 07-11-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

thanks for the honest reply. once evryone reads those bullshi$ magizine comparisions everyone will be an expert on the yzf450. will honda a-arms fit the yzf450? anyone know if they will inter change with other brands?

Old 07-11-2003, 02:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

Hot exhaust is an understatement.

My Buddy's wife has a YFZ450. Went over to look at it and he started it up and closed the garage after two minutes (to the Tee) to show me the header . . . Glowing Red!

I guess they took it to the dealer and they re-jetted it (dealer and their house are at same elevation - sea level!)

I have a YZ426 and I have seen the exhaust red as well so. . . I think it is just one of those things with this engine.

As for reviews.. . she gave good reviews (see below for a good report of how it did in the sand - her e-mail to me - John has a high compression piston, cam and pipe on his Raptor - for comparison sake - It is poorly tuned right now though.)

"O.K
My "Y" as I call it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I Love It!! It is so low to the ground and it is so lite that is whips around in a heart beat. It will take me where ever I want to go and John had a blast on it too! He rode the peaks on it and the superbowl. As for the mountain. I raced Bryan on his stock raptor (no paddles) and won by a landslide then John got on Bryan's raptor and I still won (They switched riders because Bryan had never ridden before so John thought it was the rider not the bike) But,,, I still won. Then I raced John on his and I kept up with him till exactly half way up the hill and then he smoked me by about 5 quad links. John then raced a raptor with paddles and just a pipe and John won by 2 quad links and then I raced the same guy and won by at least 5 quad links. Then I raced a couple of banshee's and I pretty much ate there dust. I also raced a Kawasaki I think it was a 400 but you would have to ask john, Let's just say I won that race with out a doubt. John wouldn't let me leave the camp with out him because everytime I did I had atleast 2-3 guys coming up to me just to look at the "Y" and if they didn't come up to me, then they followed me back to camp to look at it. To sum up my bike John left Sand Mountain saying I could not get any after market stuff for my "Y" because he said then I would be pretty close to beating him.
It was soooo nice there. There was Maybe 20 trailers there maximum the whole weekend. Talk about having the dunes to ourselves.
As for my friends Bryan and Trista they did good for raptor with no paddles. We only had one tip over and one roll down a hill. Not to bad for the first weekend. Ha Ha Ha They are both fine we had no injuries. They did get the kids 80's in at 6:00 on Wednesday night. So the kids were really excited and they did pretty good for there first ride. Once we taught them not to go down a hill sideway and not to throttle the bike down a "slide" We could finally relax while they rode."

Old 07-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

Originally posted by: RAPTORAZ
Ridley have you dynoed your yfz yet or are you going to? That thread about fmf dynoing it seems like bs to me. I don't remember who posted it but some of the yfz flamers are using it as kinda like a guideline to point out a yfz's stock hp isn't very high. If you do post it so we can know for sure because I still haven't seen a factual post about the stock hp. A piped raptor makes about 38hp or more don't it? I figured the yfz was some where around that or higher.

on my title, it said my raptor had something odd like 41.8hp. maybe more.. is that correct?

Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

I read somewhere that the gyt-r kick start option will save 30lbs! I'm not sure where I saw it though..might be dirtwheels...

Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

Originally posted by: Kraw

on my title, it said my raptor had something odd like 41.8hp. maybe more.. is that correct?

That's probably correct if they're rating that at the crank. 41.8HP X a 15% drivetrain loss = 36 RWHP

Old 07-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

I read in a magazine today that the 450 spanked the rappy every time in a drag race.......but the rappy caught back up and overtook it top end ........they said it had about 2 more mph than the 450........

I don't understand why they call it a 450 though........it isn't ........it is a 439?......I guess you could boar it a little to make it a full 450?.......but why stop there..........do somethin more like a 475 or somethin?........

I plan on buying one in a few months......

Old 07-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 VS Raptor

Originally posted by: Kraw

That's probably correct if they're rating that at the crank. 41.8HP X a 15% drivetrain loss = 36 RWHP
good point.. I was kinda thinking that too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

didn't Yamaha make the 450 439 to fall in line with some MX rules?

Quick Reply: YFZ450 VS Raptor