Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz450 vs. 250r for top spot

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 vs. 250r for top spot

Y does everyone compare the 250R to anything and everything regardless of displacement?

Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

The same reason people like you say they are better than anything else made....... Reguardless of the 15 year old technology. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
Y does everyone compare the 250R to anything and everything regardless of displacement?
Go to the race track and see for yourself. You will see more 250r's racing and winning than anything else. Why, becuase aftermarket companies make everything known to man for them and if no other machine can beat it week in and week out then why race something else. The 250r has been the choice machine for racers since it came out do to how it handles. That is why everyone compares new quads to it. First thing a racers asks now a days is can it beat a 250r. So far the new machines have came close but none have constantly beat it. Why do you think the nationals are going to pro productin classes? The reason is to phase the 250r out.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

right but when some1 finally does beat an R on their raptor or predator(most likely a stupid rider on the R or poorly running) they go off about how much the R sucks but its only a 250! how much can u expect out of it? its more than enough for todays big bores. CrAcKhEaDs R is only a 265 and it will beat any of todays big bores stock or lightly modded.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:49 AM
Pro Rider

Everyone compares their machine to a 250r, because it has been a known fact that the 250r is an awesome quad. Up till about a month ago the 250r was "the machine" . As I recall the thread was named "yfz450 vs. 250r for top spot. Well, I think we all have a pretty good idea, that the yfz more than just blew it out of the water. Forget stock to stock. your talkin about an 80's machine vs. a 04!! No one has compared a stock 250r to a stock 450 cause the 450's are already beating totally done up 250r's. Whats the point?
Having the yfz come out doesnt mean that the 250r is no longer an awesome quad, cause it always will be. I personally think that yfz is/will be in the top spot now, we'll wait to see though. I think honda has some series work ahead of them if they are going to try to make a better handling, faster quad then the yfz!

Old 07-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I only got one thing to say. i rode a stock R, and was not impressed, at all. the handling, yes, it was amazing, but the speed factor really sucked.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

From your sig looks like you ride a YZ250. well I guess you are not impressed with the speed of a 250r quad! There is no comparison with speed here - the YZ feels like a rocket compared to it.

In the quad world, 250Rs are pretty fast and have all around the best package ever produced by a manufacturer. even though they arent produced any more, for the most part, they still dominate the racing circuit......until perhaps now.
I think that the YFZ450 is the most serious threat to the 250r yet. I have a R and love it and dont forsee ever getting rid of it. But I think Yamaha did their homework here. Now, as far as Cannondale goes b/c I know the issue will come up- they were the best effort from any manufacturer in recent times.
I think they cetainly woke the market up, but they were not a MASS MARKET threat as the new Yamaha 450 is. Individually, bike vs bike, the cannondale was/is a formidable opponent, but sadly, the company is gone, and if you managed to get one- then great! hang on to it. But I think the Yamaha is definitely the one to watch now.......

Old 07-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

i dont think the yfz is all ppl are making it up to be... (not just cause im a honda owner either i like yamaha). I dont see how its a threat to the 250r [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] is the yfz gonna out sell it and make honda go bankrupt? NO! its no longer in production so how can the yfz be a threat to it? sure some riders will be winning some races on the yfz but thats because theyre good riders. Personally i think it would be better to see less 250r's on the track. Just a matter of time b4 all u see is the yfz's out there, theyre gonna become the honda civics of quads everyone's gonna have one. Its gonna be pretty sad when i beat one on my 265 in drag though...im gonna be like "damn is that the best yamaha could do? doesnt it have a dirt bike motor that makes something like 37-40 hp stock?" and then just ride away.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

lol. the sad thing is, the R is already the honda civics of quads. and when $$ is invested, thats when they really start to go fast. i was not dissing the R at all, i love that quad, but just cause it was stock was what had amazed me. and if im not mistaking, the R was not for drag racing to begin with? just like the YFZ. and another reason i thought it was slow, cause i rode my friends 105 mph banshee all the time, (87banshee250sx). yeah, its fast. and going from that to a stock R was a big jump. but yet another thing amazed me. we dragged the R vs. a 250X, and it was a very short track, but the X was like 3-4 lenghts behind it. i thought it would have beem way farther. guess not. and i personally think my yz is on the slow side. im moving from a 13/49, to 15/49 combo tonight. it accelerates so fast, it barely has a power-band. and one last thing, i am not dissing the R in any way shape or form.

Old 07-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

i dont think the yfz is all ppl are making it up to be... (not just cause im a honda owner either i like yamaha). I dont see how its a threat to the 250r is the yfz gonna out sell it and make honda go bankrupt? NO! its no longer in production so how can the yfz be a threat to it? sure some riders will be winning some races on the yfz but thats because theyre good riders. Personally i think it would be better to see less 250r's on the track. Just a matter of time b4 all u see is the yfz's out there, theyre gonna become the honda civics of quads everyone's gonna have one. Its gonna be pretty sad when i beat one on my 265 in drag though...im gonna be like "damn is that the best yamaha could do? doesnt it have a dirt bike motor that makes something like 37-40 hp stock?" and then just ride away.
Sometimes I wonder...why no one reads!......Dude, I never said it would out sell the 250r. How can it? I sure as hell know it's not in production anymore! And, no, it will not make Honda go bankrupt. Re-read what I said, you will see that I was talking about the racing circuit and that the YZF is the first mass market quad that has hit that can rival the 250r there, especially off the showroom floor for
$7k-ish ( i may have left the price out on the previous post). There seems to be agreement on the fact that you will see more and more of them. I like two-strokes, but 4 strokes are the future and will rule the circuits soon.
Therefore, the topic of this thread was "YFZ450 Vs. 250R for top spot," I dont think that meant in sales, but on the track- which is what I was addressing. I am a honda owner too, but I give credit to where it is due....Yamaha did a good job on this one.

Quick Reply: yfz450 vs. 250r for top spot