Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris?

The predator looks awesome and I've heard a lot of good things about it. But it's a Polaris...I've never been a big fan of Polaris. Is this polaris reliable?

Old 07-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Range Rover
Default Polaris?

I bought a yfz 450 but I also really like the predator. Both are good machines and if you take care of both, they will both last. The predator has good power if you do a few simple mods. K&N, pipe, and dynojet kit. I bought the yamaha because it was 65 lbs lighter and I have always wanted a 450 quad.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris?

There was a guy on the other thread that just got a pred. about a week ago, and is already having probs with it.
In my opinion, and from what I have seen, I'd stick with yamaha. Ive seen a pred on the track, and it really wasnt impressive. Also, the thing slammed into a hay bail, thats it, and was all messed up. The front end was all bent out of shape. There was absolutely no reason to have that kind of damage for hiting a bail of hay. A 1990 banshee was way outdoing that poor polaris.
Polaris guys will argue to the death that there quads are the best. Well, I have yet to see that, except for the well astablished point that it isnt as "tipsy" as the raptor. Anyone who says a pred is faster then a rappy is a lier! (stock)
I went with the yfz450, it was the very obvious choice for me.
Polaris is a utility quad and snowmobile company, not a sport quad company!

Old 07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris?

After owning 4 different yamaha quads, (4x4 big bear, blaster, 400cc stroker warrior, 404cc big bore banshee) I "Went over to the dark side" and bought a Predator 8 months ago. I got tired of over-priced yamaha parts, and I've had not one bit of problems with my Polaris for quality or performance. They're all just machines, and sooner or later you can break or wear out anything (especially if those pesky hay bales jump out in front of you.)

I also ran neck and neck while beating most Raptors at Comp hill at Florence this last weekend......the raptors owners came up to me after with this look of dismay after getting beat 5 out of 5 times, and asked "is that stock?" Yup I said, you just got ate by a 500cc polaris against your 660cc raptor.....all races were close, but still it was a toss up and came down to who got the best start........even if I wheelied it off the line blowing my start, by the top of comp hill I had reeled him in and was neck and neck again....

I'll most likely be getting a yammy 450 sport quad within the next year, but it's hard to justify the $1500 more that would cost over getting another predator. $5400 verses $6900, but the smaller seat and frame size of the 450 would fit my wife better.

Either way, the pred or 450 are both top notch quads, and the Raptor is no slouch either..........come on Honda, whatcha got lurking in the wings!!!

Bring it on!