Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1050 lb. machine vapor locking on a steep incline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1050 lb. machine vapor locking on a steep incline?

I am more than a little interested in the Rhino 660 side-by-side..........yet when I see posts like this
http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...2&m=8506051063

I think of two things:

#1) The fact that you endanger SOMEBODY ELSE's life besides your own; when you ask them to buckle that safety belt

#2) (and less importantly)..... the thought of seeing a $10,000 machine go tumbling end for end down a mountainside after you yell "BAIL"(!!!!) when it starts to roll backwards.

Do I really want to spend that much money and then figure out how I'm going to "heat shield" the sucker to make it work?

What 'else' should I be looking out for regarding this motor..........or are every single one of these people exaggerating this problem? (which is pretty much hard to believe!).

Thanks in advance for any help.........what I don't like, is the fact that no other manufacturers are giving us any other options on this (what I consider to be) groundbreaking machine.

Will this thing end up in the same catgegory as the Pilot and Odyssey if something as basic as 'engine problems' is ignored?

It's one thing when you decide to go charging up a hill with an engine built for 'one'................but if I'm going to put someone I love into the seat next to me?.............I don't even want to HEAR A THING about boiling gas, vapor locking or stalls............

Old 07-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

This new ATV is desgined differently, it is spread out more thus creating more ventilation and thus not having a problem with heat. Also no one has ridden one yet so we can't make comments on how it will perform. The motor built for one can easily be beefed up for more power and if it has lower gearing then there should be no problem at all.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by bbertram:
"This new ATV is desgined differently, it is spread out more thus creating more ventilation and thus not having a problem with heat..........."

From the pictures I saw........the engine sits beneath a cowling underneath the floor and between the seats'floorboard.....this creates more 'ventilation'?

(bertram):...."Also no one has ridden one yet so we can't make comments on how it will perform.........."

Do you work for Yamaha/Canada?
I can't make any comments on how it will perform?
CAN I ASK "THESE GUYS" WHAT PROBLEMS "THEY" ARE HAVING WITH THE EXACT SAME ENGINE/DRIVE COMBO?

(bertram):.........."The motor built for one can easily be beefed up for more power and if it has lower gearing then there should be no problem at all."

More power????
Would you please show me where the specifications given for this Rhino are any different than a stock Grizzly's?
How is 'more power' going to keep me from sputtering in the water or boiling the gas?
And what in the heck would how it is 'geared' have to do with the engine performing flawlessly throughout it's powerband?(especially when operating within the given load rating of the machine and in the proper gear range?).

The problems that the 660 motor has had, have certainly been no 'secret'....................can I still 'talk' about these problems being transferred to the Rhino(?).......especially for the purpose of figuring out wether these issues have been FIXED; before I spend $10,000 to figure it out myself?

Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

From the pictures I saw........the engine sits beneath a cowling underneath the floor and between the seats'floorboard.....this creates more 'ventilation'?
Pictures, thats exactly right. Until we see the real thing we won't know forsure, I'm just speculating like you are and I would think Yami would like to make the Rhino a better designed ATV compared to the Grizzly so they will work on the weak points and improve upon them. Of couse thats if Yami wants to improve and can admit there were heat problems on the grizzly.

I can't make any comments on how it will perform?
CAN I ASK "THESE GUYS" WHAT PROBLEMS "THEY" ARE HAVING WITH THE EXACT SAME ENGINE/DRIVE COMBO?

Of course your can make comments on how well it will perform once you drive one.

More power????
Would you please show me where the specifications given for this Rhino are any different than a stock Grizzly's?
How is 'more power' going to keep me from sputtering in the water or boiling the gas?
And what in the heck would how it is 'geared' have to do with the engine performing flawlessly throughout it's powerband?(especially when operating within the given load rating of the machine and in the proper gear range?).
I have read that the carb is larger, this by itself will create more power. Also you will not see design changes in the motor, like cams, valves, etc in the specs. These internal components can be moddified by Yami to create more HP and more Torque, they would have to. The Rhino is much heavier than the Grizzly and would need more bottom end Torque. Again specs will not show this, only once Yami releases the Rhino will you find out. Pictures and specs are for the general public to get them hyped up, they don't explain the entire story.

Also gearing will play a role too, the Grizzly has a fairly good top speed (60+ mph) the Rhino will not, not because of the weight but because of the gearing. They will not allow this ATV to travel at those speeds, it would be dangerous, its no car. So they will gear it lower and this will create less work for the motor so they will not have to spend more money on internal motor mods. Maybe gearing is all it will need along with a larger carb to make it move swiftly. Maybe there were no internal mods done, I don't know, no one does.

So until we ride this new ATV it will be hard to judge what its capable of and what its downfalls are. If it follows the foot steps of the Grizzly then Yami did not do their homework, it will still work fairly well but not what it could of been. If Yami did do their homework then there should be no heat problems. Look at the Raptor, does it have heat problems? I have never heard of the Raptor having heat problems like the Grizzly, they use the same motor but different internal mods. The raptor is more open though, so it can get more fresh air. Maybe the Rhino has vents or some sort of force induction, like air scoops.

Anyway, enough rambling.

Old 07-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bbertram
..........I'm just speculating like you are and I would think Yami would like to make the Rhino a better designed ATV compared to the Grizzly so they will work on the weak points and improve upon them. Of couse thats if Yami wants to improve and can admit there were heat problems on the grizzly...............

(lol) My friend..........wasn't that the whole point of what I'VE been trying to say? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

....."Of course your can make comments on how well it will perform......... once you drive one......"

Again, can I merely 'ask' questions on here about the motor............ for the very same reasons you gave above?

....."I have read that the carb is larger, this by itself will create more power......."

Look at the only specs. availiable for both the Rhino and Grizzly.............do you see any difference in carburetion; bore and stroke or compression ratio? And these special 'internal mods' aren't going to change any of these?
I guess it's just been my observation that a manufacturer will change NOTHING if they can get away with it.........the more motors you order that are 'the same'...........the more money you make off of each unit sold.

...."Also gearing will play a role too....So they will gear it lower and this will create less work for the motor so they will not have to spend more money on internal motor mods. Maybe gearing is all it will need along with a larger carb to make it move swiftly...............

I'm just going by the specifications that don't indicate engine mods or larger carburetors...................yet I still have to stick by my original point! You can gear that thing low enough to pull a house down............this STILL has nothing to do with the stalling problems!

.......If it follows the foot steps of the Grizzly then Yami did NOT do their homework...."

Again, my friend; couldn't I have used the above statement as my topic heading?
I think we both agree somewhat; just maybe not on wether this issue is important enough for a guy about to shell out $10,000 to own one.

When you say:

...."Of course your can make comments on how well it will perform............ once you drive one..."

Forgive me, but I feel like I'm talking to a Yamaha salesman!

Except for the fact that at least YOU will admit that Yamaha HAS had problems with their Grizzly........ which could prove to be somewhat DISASTROUS if knowingly transferred to this side-by-side machine.

How well do you think a 1050lb. machine will HOLD on a steep incline with two 250 lb. guys (and all their gear)..........nervously trying to pop the center console off in order to determine why the engine stalled?

Just give me a motor that is AS RELIABLE as any other out there.
Bottom line?...........I have YET to "sputter" or "stall" my Sportsman.... and that's through every condition imaginable.

Thanks for the response and your opinion,

John

Old 07-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, everybody [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]..............why did I ever question wether this engine was 'fixed'; after all this time?

http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?...2&m=3746095652

And all this stuff is liable to happen when I 'test drive' this Rhino; behind the dealership?

One of these guys is claiming that they can't even give a delivery time on the supposed 'fix kits' and another claims that they aren't covered under warranty! (I have no idea wether this is true).

Will any dealer give us an extended warranty which simply ensures that this engine won't exhibit any of the bad characteristics of any preceeding years?

Any Yamaha dealer mechanics out there who aren't afraid to give us the scoop on this?

Old 07-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Forgive me if I missed something here as I essentially skimmed over a lot of this thread. But from what I understand, the concern is that the Rhino engine will vapor lock like the Grizzly's engine. Doesn't the Raptor use the same 660 engine (tuned a little different, to be sure)? I don't recall anyone saying anything about a Raptor suffering vapor lock. True, the Rhino is closer to the Grizz in form, but it may simply never have this problem due to tuning/design differences.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

The raptor receives alot more air flow and ventilation than the grizzly. The heat is the cause of the vapor lock, with the heat removed there is not problem.