Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs V Force in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs V Force in the real world

I agree with Bing if you are talking about inexperienced or "green" riders then yes they are going to ride the V faster and probably get hurt on the Rappy. You take an experienced rider that is going to slide into the turn slam a gear down and come out hard on the power band they are going to take the V. Thats my opinion on it. The V is a good machine for what it is, but I don't see me ever getting an Auto "sports quad" but that is my choice.

I drag race and chose to build a Rappy instead of a Banshee. Why because I wanted to buld a 4 stroke. I could have build a faster banshe for what I have in my Rappy (this is a fact), but I didn't. I think given some time for the aftermarked to start up with the V it may be a contender on the strip (someday).

Right now the Rappy is a hard to beat all around quad. The V is also a good quad that has a definate market out there.

I also have to agree with raptor03 if you are going to take a Rappy on the trails then you better ride your V with hard with some "Ball$"

Old 07-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the responses.

As for me, I am somewhat of a novice myself. I consider my riding skill to be about a 3 out of 10. Partly because of my physical limitations and partly because I have two kids and a wife and my #1 priority is to stay alive.

Anyway, I agree with many of you. The Raptor is probably the superior machine when ridden by an aggressive highly skilled rider. For chumps like me, the V Force's power makes up for my lack of riding ability and keeps me competitive (that's partly why I like it so much).

I have much respect for the Raptor and wish I had the money to have both the Rappy and V Force. But since I had to choose one or the other, the V Force left me grinnng just a bit more that the Raptor after the test ride.

I have raced a Raptor in about a 300 foot drag and beat him, but I almost got beat by a Z-400 the next race which is much slower than the Raptor, so go figure.

Keep the posts coming. I like to hear debate without all the immature BS that usually comes with a "this versus that" post.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Rider makes the difference. Raptor riders are the best, don't cha know. Just read all the raptor chat. lol

Old 07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Races are won in the corners. thats where the passing takes place. your post did not account for the weight of that tank barreling into the corner and what distance it would take to slow it down. what distance are you gonna make in a 30-50ft stretch over a raptor. very little if any. now you come up onto the next turn and your braking earlier. Bamn! Classic blocking pass. even if you manage to get out front again. what about jumps. what about the next turn. infact, if it was me riding this race. on my raptor. i may let you run with the lead so you don't accidently take me out and i DNF. then in the last lap wait for my passing opportunity and make my move then.

if onemore person says the rap is tippy...im gonna punch them in the throat. i don't know anybody who races a stock machine. even a 250r gets widened up and its only natural to assume both quads have some handling upgrades in order to race. hell, if you put someone who's 150lbs and someone who's 210lbs on any quad. their gonna have diffrent opinions on how it handles.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well you can throw that Automatic into a turn and hit the gas, great.

But if I get my Raptor in front of you, I'll be fanning the clutch and throttle, slinging up so much dirt roosting you that you won't even see the next turn.

That's the real world.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Is it something in the DNA of Raptor owners to be jerks? If you don't think your raptor is tippy, then you must not have ever ridden a 400EX!

Old 07-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I will admit the V-Force is an awesome bike. And maybe I just haven't seen anyone who can really ride one. However, we do our hardest riding at Little Sahara in NW OK and so far I have seen about 15 or so V-Forces... None of which have been able to outperform the raptors, banshees, DS650s, predators, or cannondales. I think the CVT tranny works extremely well... but, it only SEEMS faster as a result of the continuous acceleration due to the lack of shifting. When and if I see one outperform any of these other bikes I will concede. I feel though that in a realistic riding situation, the V-Forces weight and lack of that massive amount of power which can only be harnessed by downshifting lessen its performance versus these other quads.

~HoundDog

Old 07-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I will be the first to admit that the V Force is not very competitive in stock or slightly modified form in the sand against stock or slightly modified Raptors.

I just hope that some of you "overconfident" Raptor owners aren't too proud to admit your defeat when serious mods hit the aftermarket for the V Force. A Force with dual exhaust, an aftermarket CDI, a highly tuned clutch (you guys probably don't even know what I am talking about in terms of the "clutch tuning") and a little engine work will be an absolute handful for you Raptor guys, even on the sand.

Furthermore, you who refer to the V as a "tank" have obviously never ridden one. I rode my V and a raptor back to back on a small track and the difference in handling was negligable. And unlike some of you in denial, I DID NOTICE THE TIPPINESS OF THE RAPTOR.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have both raptor and a couple of 400ex's. When you go faster than most everything is alittle harder to handle. But I don't have V tank so I can't say.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

I went to a local mx track last night and some guy entered a stock v.He came in dead last.There were about 4 raptors in the race and they all smoked the v.It was a tank.It could not handle the jumps it botomed out every time.Some of the raptors were stock and the handled jumps and cornered well.The 250r's won all 4 heats.The v and raptors were in the novice class.

Quick Reply: Raptor vs V Force in the real world