Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs V Force in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs V Force in the real world

Ringer- The V was not designed for MX riding. That doesn't mean some guy won't enter in a race, but it was specifically designed for CC racing, not MX.

HoundDog- The V's you see at Waynoka don't have the correct tires to perform just yet. I have been staying in touch with Scat Trak and they have had to develop a special tire for the 700. Nothing currently available works well because of the overall weight, fuel tank on the rear, and the excessive torque. They are having Douglas build a special wheel to accomodate their new tire so it will get enough flotation, with 10" diameter and 11" wide. I have tried Geckos and Extremes with poor results, so it is no surprise that the V's do not seem competitive. Everything so far either digs too much or they can't keep the front end down. This new tire should help the overall performance on the sand.

Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

so the tires are going to make it a much better quad,i doubt that...it is what it is and no rim or tire is going to change that,they better get into that engine..

Old 07-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

I know it wasnt made for mx riding I was just saying what I seen at the track last night.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

The V may not be the fastest, or the best jumper, and it may be heavy but hands down the V force is the best sport trail bike money can buy.....just my 2 cents.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Homedawg, to correct you, the V is a formidable dune machine,,,even in stock form (w/good paddles). With a little clutch help, it could edge a rap. (top end being the weakest point).

I own a rap, I am not a jerk,,,,theres one.

but hands down the V force is the best sport trail bike money can buy
I really wouldn't mind debating this. Do you really mean this? How much experience do you have w/sport quads???

Bottom line,,,,,,the two bikes are 'totally' different,,,,,and should be ridden accordingly.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

raptor03- you don't get it. The 700 excels at what it was designed for. The motor has plenty, it just needs to get to the ground. The weight of the machine is a detriment in the sand, so it requires more flotation than anything before it. I'm not saying that different tires will make it a better quad, but they will make it perform better in certain conditions. No different than putting mud tires on a 4x4 ATV.

Trust me, for dunes I will choose my Banshee over the V, but the V is not getting the power to the ground. As better tires are designed and the performance mods like pipes, rev box and clutch tuning are perfected, it should be a more impressive showing.

Happy trails!

Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I agree Pairo.

I want to ride a V, that gets the power to the ground (or maybe just the rear wheels)

In stock form what would you 'clutch' people estimate to loss of power to be.

If the motor is givin 100%,,,,I say the rear wheels are only seeing 70%,,,,,and the ground only sees about 65%.

What does everyone else think????

Old 07-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

I can't wait to see what the aftermarket brings to the table for the big V. I think it has a ton of potential, and the most importent place to me is the strip! Given time I think it will turn good times and the auto tranny should save a few tenths over most bikes. Right now the track (in 4 stroke class) belongs to the Rappy's and the 650's.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

TripleBUFFS seem to work great for the V-force on the sand!! I have seen SamcoeDS's V out run EVERY Rappy or DS by several bike lenghts. IT takes a 686 rappy,or DS on Alky to beat his Piped.jetted. V-force. And only then it is by 1 quad lenght.

And as far as I can tell Samcoe is the only V-force owner(around here) that has taken the time to make his V-force run to its potential and be competitive. KUDOS!!!

Bigger.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Just a matter of time before someone replaces the stock clutch with a retrofitted snowmoble clutch which is larger and would turn torque into speed, 100 MPH would be easy.

Even with a stock bike, lighten the clutch, which will raise the RPM's and see what happens.

Bing, your estimate is probably close.

Quick Reply: Raptor vs V Force in the real world