Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hauling...children

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling...children

How long will my grizzly 600 pull a load at speeds of under 10mph before It begins to over heat? I will be pulling a 4x8 car trailer with some kids...and hay. ( i will be doing hayrides)
I do not know how my atv is gonna put up with the slow speeds and weight.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have a clue, but doesn't you quad have a electric fan? It is water cooled isn't it?

Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Electric Shift, I’ve towed a 628 lb mower on hilly ground with my 600 Griz for hours without any problems when the temperature was in the low 80s or less (4WD in low range) before the over-temp light came on. On really hot days (90s) the light would come on sooner, say in an hour or two. Once reaching this stage it was time to quit for a while, as if you waited 10 minutes or so (enough for the light to go out) and start up again, the light would come back on again in short order.

One of the reasons I upgraded to a 660 was for the liquid-cooled engine so I could mow for longer durations when necessary. However as it turned out it seemed like the 660’s over temp light came on with the same regularity as it did on the 600 so no improvement there. However I haven’t tried any of those radiator additives that are supposed to help keep the temperature lower (on the liquid cooled 660 of course), or venting of the sidecovers. Just for comparison, I’ve used a borrowed Honda Rubicon pulling the same mower under the same conditions for several hours on a hot day and it’s over temp light never came on. I did note however that its lowest transmission ratio was slower than either Grizzly, so it probably was less of a strain for it to pull the mower (even though its maximum rated towing capacity is considerably less).

I guess it depends on how much weight you put on the trailer, what the air temperature is that day, the speed and duration of your ride and if you are dealing with hills or not. One thing for sure the Griz is capable of towing more than its rated capacity. What you might consider doing is a “dry run” with your trailer with an equivalent load before you plan one of these rides to see how well it would do.

I’ve also found that both my 600 and my current 660 will sometimes severly cough & sputter if I try giving it a lot of throttle (to go fast) after running for a long period of time at slow speeds. Under these circumstances they would generally return to normal pretty quickly by gradually accelerating and working your way up to a quick pace for a little bit. Note that I’ve never encountered this “sputtering” problem operating either ATV at normal recreational speeds.