Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor electrical

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor electrical

I eliminated the parking brake indicator wires that allow engage the rev limiter when parking brake is set. Everyone knows that as much as we love yamahas, we have to admit... that parking brake setup is JUNK! We remove it on every bike we have and install a blockoff plate on the rear caliper. As far as the perch, I use an aftermarket with one electrical socket, so that my clutch indicator still works and my bike will only start in gear with the clutch pulled in (keeping me or someone else from bumping the starter while in gear and stripping it). As far as the rewiring goes... No big deal. If memory serves me correctly, I believe there is a plug on the harness. Just follow the wiring harness for the parking brake indicator down and unplug it near the gas tank. I would suggest filling it with Silicone or something similar to prevent water from arcing the circuit.

~HoundDog

Old 07-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor03Rider
are you sure about that? I think I've started my Rappy in neutral without holding in the clutch...
All stock it will start in nuetral without the clutch but not in gear without it.

You can remove the parking brake sensor (top one) by disconnecting it, I am 90% sure the clutch sensor below it has to be disconnected then the wires plugged into each other. Then it will start in gear with no clutch - not recommended though.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Along the lines of raptor electrical, Does anyone know the function of the "speed sensor" in the tranny? Also, why does the radiator fan have a long hose on it? it looks like a drain hose, but surely not on an electric motor.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took my clutch lever off and modified it only to have the clutch cable and the clutch switch installed. Looks pretty sweet and have had alot of compliments on it as well. I found this out from someone in the Suzuki forum that also did this. He has pics of it here