Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GPS units. whadya use? suggestions plz.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS units. whadya use? suggestions plz.

trail riding in northern US and Canada? deep woods. any suggestions on units? Megallan or Garmin? pros cons. wood also like to use for Kayaking. help. price not really an issue. would like to be able to mount to warrior.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned both brands, the menus and screens on the Garmin are much easier to use.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have a garmin etrex legend, it works good, but I have not used it much on the atv. I just ordered a handle bar mount for it so I can use it on the quads.

Bat

Old 07-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Magellan Map 330.. been using it for a few years... great unit!

http://www.krawdaddy.net/Dakota/gps1.JPG

I'm sure there are better units out now, but in 01, it was top of the line, kinda

Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin is it for a GPS as far as I'm concerned. I have the basic e trex for the quad and use their handlebar mount. An acc. power cord would be a good idea no matter which one you get, they don't work as good off the batteries.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

I have a Magellan Gold..it's works great ..it came with the Map software (this is expesive if you buy it seprately) and the wire to connect it to your computer..And a 16 meg memory card to expand the memory. So you can load more maps...I download my ATV trip to the computer and then you can play them back ..It shows Me as a Icon moving around the map and shows speed heading and altitude..it's cool...I also can print out maps..i was suprized that many of the old trails were on the map software...
Batteries last a long time too at least 10hr ...maybe more

A friend of mine has a Garmin almost paid as much and didn't get any of this stuff with his and my screen is larger then the Garmin..I played with his and can say I liked mine the best..you can read all about them at this site....http://gpsinformation.net/

Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome feedback folks. I'm considering a mount made by UMI. it mounts to the gas cap so the gps stays in a fixed position as opposed to the handle bar mount. Garmin may be the way i go...but i like the features Hotdog talked about...reviewing my ride and the locations covered would have value for me.

sixsixt...smart idea. adding an accessory is something i can do now while im waiting to make a decision. thanx.

i don't know. easy menu's may be the way to go. any other suggestions or models to consider.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

If you spend a little more, you can get all the map download features in a Garmin. I have a Garmin unit on my boat that allows me to download maps or swap memory chips. As far as the menus, it's a personal preference thing. Go to a store that will let you play with them and see which brand makes more sense to you. Also, the batteries in my cheap Garmin handheld will last every bit of 20 hours.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

i got the garmin etrex venture...
it works pretty good.....

Old 07-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

go to my website and look at the mounts I have for my GPS (garmin Vista) bullet proof ram mount cost $30

View of GPS sitting on my quad

Quick Reply: GPS units. whadya use? suggestions plz.