Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

top end help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end help

just a couple of quick questions for anyone with experience in fixing these. I believe oil is not getting to the head and this is what caused the intake rocker to eat the rocker shaft and destroy the cam, and both rockers. My guess was the oil pump but does these go bad very often? Is the oil filter a more likely culprit? Also does anybody know of salvage yards or any other place I could possibly get a used head to save a little money?

thanks

Old 07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default top end help

I believe if the oil filter is installed backwards it will starve the head but I am not sure. Definitely check that oil pump too, and when you get it back together there should be a bolt to take out to make sure you have pressure. You have anything else done to the head? like aftermarket springs or cam?

I would "head" straight over to Ebay. The prices over there will make you lose your "head"

Old 07-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default top end help

[quote]
Originally posted by: warrior007
I believe if the oil filter is installed backwards it will starve the head but I am not sure. Definitely check that oil pump too, and when you get it back together there should be a bolt to take out to make sure you have pressure. You have anything else done to the head? like aftermarket springs or cam?q]

Thanks alot for the reply as I am really struggling as to what road to take.
How do you check the oil pump, what do you look for?
Also do you know where this bolt is or where I could find this out?
I just called web cams and they recommended the 81 something for overall performance. They said the .450 lift ones was more setup for top end racing.
the other dilema I am having is as follows, for the cam and required spring set it is $200. Then the new rockers would be another $70. Then if I get the new rocker shafts that is another $50. Then to have a machine shop reseat the valves is another $100 (this may be optional as they were theoretically resurfaced not long ago). This brings the total to $420. I bought the warrior for $1100 because it had ugly plastic, and a slightly bent frame (there is a crush in the frame behind the lower a arm mount) but it has all new bearings, seals, bushings, chain, sprockets.
So I am debating whether I should be better off spending the money are selling the parts off on ebay and trying to get my money back?
any and all help greatly appreciated