Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I'm planing a trip to The Badlands in Attica Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm planing a trip to The Badlands in Attica Indiana

Badlands is actually about half an hour from Lafayette, I need to change that, I actually live in West Point, which is a small speck on the map inbetween Lafayette and Attica. 15 mins either way, backroads even shorter. Which way do you come through? 65, 231, or 52? If do go on Sunday, let me know, as I said, I might be able to go. Not sure if they'll let you through the gate without paying, and you can't see a whole lot from the entrance, other than some of the dunes.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Badlands is not a bad place to ride, it does get crowded on weekends. If you know the place real well you can find all kinds of woods riding. Another place is Red Bird in Dugger, In which is south of Terre Haute near Sullivan. I'm not sure if its fully opened up yet. It was just an old mining area that everyone went to. The Jeep Club was going to reopen it as a park for jeeps and atv's. I was told that it should be open in June or July.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
RIP Dear Friend

RideRedEX,

Some where up in that part of Indiana didn't the state purchase some old strip mine ground and is going to open that up or it might already be open?

Chet

Old 07-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya thats Red Bird. The local Jeep club is the one's kinda organizing the whole thing. Its set up like attica with jeeps and atv's.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:40 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Seems like it was about a year ago I read something about that area in the paper and it stated the state of Indiana was even going to install bathrooms.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its supposed to be pretty nice when they have it complete. The State closed other riding areas around Terre Haute and got a lot of complaints. There really helping out at Red Bird and hopefully will get some more land for us to ride on

Old 07-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Look at the pics on the home page. They are going to even have an unloading ramp.

Red Bird

Old 07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I just spotted this:

How much does it cost to register my OHV?
The current cost is $6.00 for 3 years.
On July 1, 2003 the cost of registraion will go up to $30.00 for 3 years.
All registrations post marked after June 30 must have $30.00 included or they will be returned. We are working to get a new form, but be advised that the fee on the form will be incorrect after June 30, 2003

I paided $180.00 dollars last year in personal property tax because I registered all my vehicles and now they need more!!!

Beware if you do sign up. If you stay on your own place I would not register.

Chet

Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

We thingk Badlands is awesome...we were there shortly after a rain...talk about mud. We were getting stuck on trails...it was beautiful! The sand can get boring, but they have an awesome creekbed to drive, and a small jump area that isn't too bad. We went for a two day weekend, it wasn't too crowded. We saw people every now and then on the trail, which made it fun, plus there is always a better chance that someone will come along to pull you out when the only 4x4 of the group is stuck!

For 15.00 and a lack of places to ride in our area.....it's a cool place.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have to second the Laurel being pretty boring!
I live in Columbus, IN and have been several times to Attica. The only reason why I find myself going any more, is because its close and its about as close as you can get to real sand in the area. I'm a duner at heart. And have been suffering ever sense I left Utah. I would say if you had to travel at all over 3-4 hours then you might want to check out other places like LS, OK or Silver Lake for the sand areas. Attica can be over-crowded, muddy not as bad as Laurel, IN and just rather warn down. Attica used to be alot better a few years ago. I remember when a couple of my friends and I found a sand hill that we made into a imitated razor back dune. We could run the top of the hill at 45mph and launch off the edge and not hit back on the ground for about 2-3 seconds it was awsome. Unfortunately everyone else found it too. Over the last couple years it has been ridden so hard and gotten so torn up, that the table height has dropped probably 5 feet, and the drop off is non existant. Attica has gotten so beat up and old that I really would rather drive to Silver Lake or do the 15 hour drive to reach LS, OK. The area is about 4 X the size, you can camp there (FYI, you CAN NOT came in Attica) and there facilities aren't that bad at all. Also, I have a beef with Attica for a while now, they no there is vary little competition so they use it too there advantage. There rates are pretty expensive at $15.00 a day per driver, and they still will not allow ATV's on there two dirt bike tracks, which is OK but ask them why they haven't built a ATV MX track when they have all the equipment there. It still makes me mad. Laurel (Haspen Acres) at least has alot better facilites, they just built an entire new building from ground up. It's more like a restaurant, with bathrooms that look like they were built for a hotel. They also have two Mx tracks, but no sand. There's just not a lot around here in IN I guess. I also use to ride at Dugger a few years ago. That place use to be treachorous. I flipped my 400ex 5 times down one of there hills, if your not careful which trail you run up, you could end up launching a 30 foot cliff. Vary dangerous! I wonder if they have fixed it yet...
Anyways, my two cents!

FYI, it also looks like Attica is doing vary little too rebuild there park, makes me wonder what there doing with there money. They are always crowded and you better bring your own food, there burger side stand is pretty expensive.

Quick Reply: I'm planing a trip to The Badlands in Attica Indiana