Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Question? Anyone have something similar happen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Question? Anyone have something similar happen?

That is defintiely the best possible/rational answer. Or so I think. I have to get out tommorrow and really tear and see. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Old 07-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 Raptor. While taking a quick ride tonight my four wheeler did the same thing as described in deepelemblues' initial posting. I have pulled it home to the garage, but not yet looked at it yet. I am very interested in hearing what you find!!

Old 07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

As you can see, I have some good feedback so far as to what happened. In my case, I pulled everything off of the bike & cleaned it really well. Powerwash & all, because I was concerned that I cracked the case or did some sort of similar damage. No such damage. I tightened everything up really good again - front sproket, saftey clip, etc, & I was back in business. I think I lucked out. I have only been real hard riding on it once - yesterday, and no problem. I am going to replace the collar & o-ring behind that drive line that the front sproket mounts up to just as a precautionary measure anyway. I think with the fact that it was a moving part, compounded with the top speed when it happended, that collar may have come out enough to break the seal & the oil to come pouring out. I as a rider for 15 years have never had/seen a situation like this where it wasn't something disasterous. That is why I inuired. You have an 03 - right? I would go right to the dealer with it - especially if it still has the warranty going on it. I wouldn't even touch it.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

Deepelemblues,
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I was sitting on the line at the gate, for my moto last year and the kid behind was tapping me on the shoulder. I kept waving away cause the board was up. Then I looked down and there was a huge puddle of oil under me. They gave me my two minutes but I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
Got back to the pit and saw that the retaining/lock washer with the tabs had backed off. This allowed the whole nut and sprocket to back off. It only flows oil when the motor is running and under pressure. There is a bearing/seal behind the sprocket, but as long as no debris gets in there you should be fine. I just tightened mine back up and periodically check it. That was over twenty motos ago and no problems since. Just watch those tabs. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Was your chain overtightened, before the sprocket came off???

Old 07-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see how that nut is backing off. I could tighten it with my fingers and after a ride it takes an impact to ge the damn thing off!

Is some useful info. though, and I will keep an eye on it from now on!!!

Old 07-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. That gives me some comfort. I have ridden twice on it now, and I am looking down in paranoia every two seconds thinking it is going to happen again. That at least gives me some comfort. I tightened it up really good & all. Maybe a little thread lock for extra protection. I guess it isn't going to be so bad afterall. Thanks again for knowledge.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replied to the wrong thread below. That thanks was to you. Thanks again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

No prob deepemb,

That's what these forums are for. Not my quad is faster than your quad. Enjoy.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Raptorguy, your right!! but mine is faster than yours......LOL.......J/K........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]