Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Question? Anyone have something similar happen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Question? Anyone have something similar happen?

I have 2001 Raptor. I have been riding for 15 years & I have never seen this. I was ripping in 5th the other day. When I let off, I went to go down to 4th & had nothing. Immediately I thought finally the trans went on this bike. I look down & there is oil coming out of the bike by the front sproket. I kill the motor & assess. I threw the front sproket. The safety clip & case saver held it on over the end of the spindel. The chain was still on. After a long tow home, I clean the bike & start to work on it. Remove the chain, sproket etc, and find no damage. After an hour or two of looking for a crack, checking the oil drain plug & every other possibility, I can't find a thing & no more oil leak. I check the oil level - about half low. I top off the oil, let it run. No leak, no change in the oil level. Reassemble and tighten the sproket down, check the oil after about 10 minutes of idle - all good. Take for several test rides, first slow & then check out the oil - no problem. Now I take it for a good rip - all the gears wide open. Come back - check the oil - no problem. Not a leak anywhere. Oil level all good. Where/How did the oil come pouring out from. My only guess is that the seal/gasket behind the spindle where the front sproket mounts up went, but how is it not leaking & OK now? And am I going to have a problem with this again. Any help from anyone who has seen or heard of this, or had it happen would be great. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have never heard of it happening and then quit. There have been many people that have had that seal leak, myself included. It is very easy to replace that seal and the seal is cheap. If yoou do it just make SURE the seal goes in the exact same way it came out.

BTW welcome to the forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

That was the wack thing. It didn't just leak drops. It was pissin out. And then, nothing. I am in awe myself. That was my concern. I don't know why either. I thought maybe the tension of the sproket pulling down on the spindel? The chain was still on, and the sproket was just loose off the end, and the spindel was rotating. Is it an O-Ring type gasket?

Old 07-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

never had that happen.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird!

Old 07-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

I've had crap get thrown up from the chain, heck I even had a carb drain tube get sucked into the output shaft seal and cause a leak, It's rare, and even rarer that it could clear itself....

Old 07-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

my friend had his pos stock oil tank leaking oil from the fittings that are pressed in. He took it to a local shop and had it welded.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Here's my theory - it's strictly a guess:

If the nut holding the front sprocket loosened up enough (was it loose ?) maybe the shaft drew in toward the engine enough to allow a poor oil seal on the output shaft and the sprocket came off the splines letting it spin free. After it was tightened the seal was correct. Wait - that doesnt really make sense......

Warrior007 - Help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would change that seal to be safe. But I have never heard of anything like that before.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

When the sprocket came off the spacer behind it probably came out some too, the major oil artery for the tranny is metered by this spacer. If you pull it all the way out you will see notches on the inner part. The oil flows through these to the drive axle. If it was out some it will spit alot of oil.

Since you pushed it back in you are all right. to see is go here, click 2001 or 2002 and raptor, tranny, its part #25

Quick Reply: Raptor Question? Anyone have something similar happen?