Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Two Predator's/YZF's? or one of each?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003 | 11:08 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Two Predator's/YZF's? or one of each?

Couldn't get any response from Polaris forum so I will try here....

Looking at replacing my banshee with two 4 strokes. I'm interested in hearing from owners of both as to how these two do side by side in the dunes and sand only. I know there both competant on the MX courses, but thats not necessarily my area of choice. On a side note the one thing I can say is that my banshee now is running after market Ohlins up front at about 10" of travel and race tech did the rear with stock swing arm. At the dunes in LS, OK I was bottoming out on larger jumps partly because I think the quad's suspension was set up for MX/TT. Power is always a concern but what do you guys think about these two as far as duning abilities. I can get a couple of each or one of both. If I had it my way I would run 11-12" all the way around like the bombs. Is the savings in weight on the YZF really worth the price for extending the a-arms on top of its already pricey tag. I'm kind of leaning towards either two Predators or one of each. Unless you think the weight savings is all that on the YZF for the dunes. One more thing that is of interest to me is a light weight front end. I have heard that the front end may be a little lighter on the YZF, but a big bore kit on the Pred. could easily solve this issue. Comments welcome...

-Thanks!

Old 07-27-2003 | 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy just replaced his Banshee with a YFZ he loves it and the Banshee is collecting dust. They are both pretty good choices. Width wise the Predator is 47.5 the YFZ 46.1 Either one will need to be widened for high level MX. For normal riding neither will need to be wider. After hopping from the YFZ to a 400EX the EX felt tippy. The YFZ has all it's weight very low and handles great. The Polaris handles very well also. The polaris has a little more travel but the extra 60-65 lbs are going to soak up that extra travel pretty quick. The thing I think seperates them is the weight and the motor! You cannot drop 65 lbs off the Predator and I'm sorry but the YFZ motor has a decided edge on the Predator motor. You can beleive what you like. Riding them both the Predator piped and jetted and the YFZ with the baffle removed and jetted big advantage YFZ! If you want 2 stroke like power and hit the YZ 450 motor is just the ticket. It rev's like crazy and pulls like a 2 stroke! Good luck I don't think either is a bad choice.

Nocando

Old 07-27-2003 | 12:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply!
But on a side note if I decided to go with a couple of YZF's over the Predators were talking a lot of money espially after you add the aftermarket a-arms. I guess my next question would be what are you going to have to replace and at what price to equate the extra travel you need for the dunes to get the 11" that you get stock on the Predator?

9.1 to 11" is a pretty good ways. Can you keep the stock shocks and just extend the aftermarket a-arms or are you going to have to also buy aftermarket shocks. This x 2 could really blow a budget. Dollar for dollar its hard to argue against a Predator.

Heck these guys here are selling new Predator's for $4,900.00
http://www.southernpowersports.com/i..._inventory.htm

Any Comments?

Old 07-27-2003 | 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

You get what you pay for.The YFZ would be my choice.I'm quite sure a competent suspension tech could revalve the YFZ front shocks to work with +2" a-arms.The YFZ has so much more engine than the predator I think you could spend more making the predator fast, than the YFZ wider w/ more travel.The 439cc Yamahas made the predators look bad at the local sand drags I was at yesterday.They were all stock except one guy argued his way into the stock class with his pure polaris exhaust system.It only hurt him because next time we will have GYTR goodies on one YFZ just for him even though our stocker beat him repetedly.

Old 07-27-2003 | 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

My family owns both of these quads and if you are looking for something to jump i would say hands down the YFZ. The predator is huge compared to the YFZ. The YFZ feels better on landings and while in the air. Personally i cant stand the size and weight of the predator. The YFZ feels alot lighter. You eem to not be to concerned with the price so maybe get one of each. But i know you will like the YFZ better and let the predator sit in the garage.

Old 07-27-2003 | 03:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

Maybe I have a misperception about suspension set-ups. But I always thought the more the travel the smoother the ride. Especially in a dune, jumping and desert environment which are my favorite riding areas. The front travel on my older 400ex and dual rate works on my 250r never seemed to be as smooth as the 10" ohlins on my Banshee. For some reason I fail to se how 9.1 is goig to be adequate for jumping or dune riding on the YZF.

Then again maybe I just don't understand suspension...

Old 07-27-2003 | 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

BOTH!!!! if i had that kinda money i would definately go with both. they are both awsome quads from what i hear. i havent ridden either of them yet though so i cant say too much. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2003 | 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blastrocastro
BOTH!!!! if i had that kinda money i would definately go with both. they are both awsome quads from what i hear. i havent ridden either of them yet though so i cant say too much. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
I agree, I own a pred and have not rode the yamaha yet. Ausiquadrider has both so I would have to listen to his compareson (sp) on both.

Old 07-27-2003 | 04:38 PM
|
Pro Rider

I to am waiting for Ausiquadrider's posts. I'm curious to see how much he likes them in both dunes, jumping.

Old 07-27-2003 | 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

if i had the money i would get one of each.

Quick Reply: Two Predator's/YZF's? or one of each?