Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Installed GYTR Clutch Kit now won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed GYTR Clutch Kit now won't shift

Well, the engine build has turned out to be much easier than the clutch kit! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I have the GYTR clutch kit with the new springs and plates. Got it in and my shifter won't move (like it is stuck in one place. Only movement seems to be the looseness in the shifter linkage. I have an 03 and didn't split the cases.

Sent a PM to Warrior007 and got the following - (Any other ideas? - Thanks):

DuneMe
Date Posted: Wed July 30, 2003 9:26 AM
Thanks for the help.

My wife has been helping me with this project. She is going to go crazy that we have to remove the clutch cover again but. . . gotta get it right! At least it is getting quicker and quicker!

-Mark

Reply Delete Top Bottom

warrior007
Date Posted: Wed July 30, 2003 9:06 AM
MY site www.raptortranny.com has alot of pictures, everything is the same for 2003. I would try and shift without the clutch cover on to see whats going on. Something is not right, even if your clutch is not working properly it should still shift if you rock the bike or turn the basket and try to shift at the same time. Check that everything at the shiftlever (inside the right hand side case) is working, you should see it ratchet around when you shift.

You should have no problems shifting if all you did was the clutch, with or without oil.

Reply Delete Top Bottom

DuneMe
Date Posted: Wed July 30, 2003 8:57 AM
The quad is an '03. I did the clutch plates and springs (didn't change the basket.)

Shifter doesn't seem like it is moving (other than the slack in the shifter.

I did (by hand) rotate the clutch basket to try to find the dot on the basket to lign up with the pressure plate arrow. (Could this have knocked anything out of alignment???

Do I need to pull the clutch basket to see the shift lever? ("If you were just doing a clutch, I suspect that possibly your shift lever has pushed out and is not seated properly in the linkage that resides to the left and behind the clutch basket. ") - As you are talking about here?

Thanks a bunch for the help! I think I have had the clutch cover off and on again about 5 times now (not matching the colors on the clutch plates correctly, forgetting (not reading directions) about the spring clutch plate thing and then last night I couldn't get the clutch plate to pull in. . . turns out I had the clutch basket a little skewed to where I could tighten the springs but, it wasn't actually in all the way, it was resting on the outside. . . Kinda crazy!!

Reply Delete Top Bottom

warrior007
Date Posted: Wed July 30, 2003 8:41 AM
Did you do anything to the transmission? is it a 2001?

If you are talking about the crankshaft and turning it the wrong way dont worry about that, its just a good habit I like to enforce, I dont think you did any harm there.

Were you in the transmission at all?? or just doing the clutch. If you were in the tranny like doing an upgrade to 2002+ gears it wont like to shift without oil in it or running at first but dont get me wrong it should, but it will feel a little mushy until its run a few minutes to get fully lubed and deburred.

If you were just doing a clutch, I suspect that possibly your shift lever has pushed out and is not seated properly in the linkage that resides to the left and behind the clutch basket.

If you did a full tranny rebuild I suspect the linkage also, the little shift mechanism has to be put together exactly right or it will not catch and ratchet like its supposed to. The little metal tangs that are spring are rounded on one edge and flat on the other. If you forgot to the metal cover that moon shaped it wont catch either. is the shifter moving at all?

Reply Delete Top Bottom

DuneMe
Date Posted: Wed July 30, 2003 8:10 AM
Got my new clutch springs on last night and went to try out the shifter. . . can't get the Raptor to shift???

There isn't any oil in the cases yet but, tried moving the crank by turning it over just a little and still can't get the gears to budge??? Do I need to have oil in the cases to get it to shift?

I know during the build I accidentally turned the shaft the wrong way (clockwise) could I have bound something up? Wouldn't have been more than a 1/4 turn. I thought this was just for the one-way on the starter.

I am about ready to fill it up with oil and coolant but, this has me concerned.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

The clutch will not affect static shifting. Are you rotaiting the counter shart while trying to shift. You need to rotate the trans for the sliders to slide on the shift drum. You could also have a bent shift shaft, or the linkage is bound.

I have had past experiances where one mis placed washer in the trans would not allow it to shift (providing you have torn the lower end a part).

Old 07-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have tried shifting while rotating the engine . . . nothing!

Old 07-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have a manual? PM me if you need that diagram

Old 07-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Once you get the cover back off,

The shifter doesnt move? or doesnt do anything when it does move?

Check the second to last picture on this page. Here
Look at the little spacer that the shift shaft uses, and make sure the shiftmech is seated on this little spacer and that the spacer isnt missing. The Rod from the other side of the motor will move back and forth. If you dont have the little spacer you will not get enough throw to be able to ratchet the next gear.

You can call me on the phone if you want 610-466-0448, but I will only be around another 30 minutes
Mike

Old 07-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Duneme,

your problem lyes within the page Warrior007 has given you. If you took the basket off the shift lever can slide through the engine and come off the little wheel. If you didn't take it off, (no reason to for a fiber change) somthing could have still happened in this area. This is in the second to the last picture on the page. Take the cover off and check this area out, you will see the problem. Hopefuly the little wheel (for lack of better word) (shift lever roller actual name) is still in place and not lodged in the motor somewhere.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

my guess is that you could shift up but not down and now you are stuck in 5th gear and now the shifter wont move.

look at the parts diagram here -->

http://216.37.204.206/alba/Yamaha_OE...=13&A=216&B=21

the shift shaft assembly moved from left to right (usualy held in place by the right side case) and droped below the the dowel and roller on the shift lever.

you can lay on the ground and look up behind the basket and see this.

pull the shaft out, rotate it, and get the dowel and roller lined up and press it back in.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:46 AM
Range Rover

Hey DuneMe. If you need help with your clutch, try the guy down the street a couple of blocks. Sometimes you need more than my tools. Its ok to ask, maybe I can help. I would hate to see your wife miss out on riding at pismo in a couple of weeks. Jerry.

Old 07-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well. . . took the cover off last night and looked at the thingy (picture Warrior007 was talking about and looked fine.

Went to the shift lever and waalaa - it works!

I looked around to see if everything appeared normal (and it did) sealed it back up and tried again. Both clutch and shifter are working now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help guys. This forum is truely awesome! I have called a number of you over the course of the build and you guys have been great! You all sure give me a lot of confidence to tackle a project that I have never done before. I have a lot of pride going into this build since it is the first time I have torn into a Raptor and I am still kinda new at this engine thing.

Jerry (Stillracinga250R): Welcome to the forum neighbor! I'll call you next time! . . . . Pismo - Can't wait! A week from right NOW I will be on the dunes riding! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

I will be there this weekend and i will show next week to test that bad boy out,laters..

Quick Reply: Installed GYTR Clutch Kit now won't shift