Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Green Sticker/Red Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Green Sticker/Red Sticker

Just Curious.... Question for "Calif" YFZ450 buyers:

Have you received an off-road sticker for your quad yet? If so, did you get a Red sticker or a Green one?????

Rude Dog

Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YFZ?? Then yes it was green. I actually heard that CA was going to be dropping the red sticker program. Don't know if it is true, I just heard.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

This is the scoop...if you have a 2002 or older bike 2 stroke or 4 stroke it doesn't matter anymore you will get a green sticker from now until they change the rules again. You should receive a new GREEN sticker in the mail if it was a RED sticker bike. If you own a 2003 2 stroke, and some 4 stroke bikes fall into this category, you will get a RED sticker. If the bike is 2003 year model or newer and the 8th digit in the VIN# is a "3" or an "C" then it is a RED sticker bike.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

03waryer:

I've read everthing about the law changes, how it covered 1997 and newer Mfgr'd ATV's/Motorcycles and now it covers 2003 and newer. I also knew about the "8th" digit thing as well. The part that I suppose was/is fuzzy, is that it effected "4 strokes". I guess, it seemed to me that 2 strokes were the obvious poluters and so got the "Red stickers", and the 4 strokes would/did get "Green stickers. I suppose I based this thought process on my past 4 stokes (2002 Raptor & 1997 Warrior) which were both "Green Stickered". So I just thought that the YFZ being a 4 stroke would be "Green stickered". Anyway... as you probably figured out, I just recently got my sticker and it's a "Red" one. Ohhh.... Also.... the 8th digit in my ID number "is not" a 3 or a C. So it must be some sort of emisions deal....

Anybody in Calif get a "Green Sticker" for their YFZ?????

Thanks, Rude Dog

Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

It purely is an emissions deal.

For example, there are actually 2 Raptors. A standard 49 state and 1 California edition. It's just that the manufacturer certifies them to meet CA emissions (or not.)

Some people bought out of state Raptors, brought them to CA and were then given red stickers.

DMV was also screwing up and issuing green stickers to red sticker bikes (there's a recent thread around here about this.)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Even Yamaha's 2003 YZ 4-strokes are getting red stickers. Didn't they use the same motor in the new YFZ 450 as the YZ450F? That really sucks if you are stuck with a red sticker. The strange part is your vin# because that is what they use when issuing a sticker. Sounds like DMV error to me. Go down to DMV and tell them you never got your sticker and see if they give you a green one...worth a shot.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

I live in CA and I got a green sticker with my YFZ. I was even told by Yamaha direct that it was a green sticker model. If you bought a YFZ and got a red sticker, there is something seriously wrong. I would call Sacramento (DMV) and demand information.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

Rudedog DMV f'd up! I talked with the local Yamaha dealer yesterday and they have a memo from Yamaha stating the YFZ is a green sticker quad.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

YFZn: Yamaha direct? Can you give me the number that you called?????

03waryer: I'll try my dealer, and a few other local ones this week to see what they have to say on this.

Thanks guys!!!

Any other YFZ people in Calif that got "green stickers"?? More input is appreciated!!

Thanks Rude Dog

Old 08-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

I live in Ca and in the show room floor the bikes have a little green tag on them and it says "this is a Green sticker bike"

Quick Reply: Green Sticker/Red Sticker