Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dune experts please advise !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dune experts please advise !!!!!!!!!

OK , I need honest opinions and answers . First my KFX only has pipe and air mods , 38 hp with hoosers and
29.9 hp with the razr 2's on .... and a 13t sprocket (1 tooth down from stock)

For these hp numbers which inexpensive paddles should I get , I loved how the geckos feel on my friends 416 , but I was smoking him up comp hill Dumont every run , we switched quads and same results mine was smoking his and I had my razr 2's on .

I am not to sure if the geckos were the reason I was smoking him or not . I heard geckos suck and there are
alot better paddles out there . I have riden with them and like them , just wondering if I will smoke him even more if I get geckos or are my razr 2's just that much better against geckos..

I drag about 2 or 3 hours out of a weekend trip , all the rest of the time were playing in bowls and jumping , so side hill stability is a must with my hiding style. My question to you guys is which paddle will be the best for
my hp , gearing , and ride preference (jumping , bowls , 180's , riding along the tops , and light dragging )

I just dont want to spend money on a set of paddles and be slower then I am with the razr 2's

Thanks and every opinion is appreciated ..

Old 08-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I use and LOVE the Skat-Trak Haulers size 20x10x11.5 8 paddle. Those paddle tires are great! They give good control in all situations and good on the pocketbook.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I am considering Maxxis Roosters V-blade , cause I can get a hell of a deal on them . Money is tight
and 150 is pushing it .

Thanks for the reply bigbubba , I have heard a lot of good things about haulers , I think I would like a
v-blade more then a straight blade do to I almost rolled 4 times today in the sand and 2 of those times
I got to see my KFX from a different angle ......the ground..lol

Old 08-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

I would recomend the gbc sand sharks over the maxxis tires. I used them and they are not as fast as a set of skat-trak haulers but they are close. the gbcs are a durable cheap tire as well. i believe you can get them for under 150 from rockymountainatv. If you like ego racing up big hills at the dunes it is hard to beat skat-traks. I am going back to skat-traks as we speak but if you play ride the gbcs are a great tire. hope that helps dave

Old 08-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you said cheap so GBC or Cheng Shin are your best options. Forget the Geckos - you heard right, they do suck. Roosters seem OK except I've read about them falling apart p[retty fast for a few people.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have sand skate II padles and they work great. I have seen the sand shark padles and they look the same as mine. Might be good ones for you to get.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

In my opinion, I prefer Haulers. I run 10 paddle on my 250r but would recommend only 8 paddles for your bike. I put my 10 paddle haulers on my modified 400ex and lost alot of HP. I ended up running sand sharks on my 400ex and they worked pretty good and didn't loose that much power. I've since sold the 400ex and the wife rides a Raptor with the same sand sharks. The Raptor (mostly stock) does well with the sharks but plan on installing haulers when she becomes a better rider & I install a few mods. My neighbor runs Geikos. He seems to like them, hasn't had any problems and he runs them on a modified Quadzilla but I think they would put more drag on your bike than a sand shark.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

I agree haulers are great padles, but they are a lot more than $150. For a quad that only has 30hp and is not serious about draging, a v-padle like sand skateII or sand sharks would work good.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

for a cheaper paddle the GBC sand devil would be a good choice but you may want to try to find a good used set of haulers because they are superior in just about every way.i prefer a straight paddle design for serious side hill riding or for railing around a bowl because they dont slide down as easy as an angled paddle.if you are even slightly serious about your drag racing i would stay away from any angled paddle because they will generally make you lose a quad length or two in a 300 foot race give or take a little depending on conditions.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys for the help , I plan on making a purchase this afternoon and most likely will be bidding / buying the sand sharks

Quick Reply: Dune experts please advise !!!!!!!!!