Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BEST clutch for 686 Raptor and should I replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST clutch for 686 Raptor and should I replace

Replaced the clutch today with Hinson and GYT-R parts. Not an easy job with two hands I'll bet, it was damn near impossible with one in a cast:-) I have almost all the free play adjusted out of the cable and it doesn't want to shift into Neutral with the engine running. As soon as I shut down, it pops into Neutral just fine. Shifts fine up and down when riding and I don't hear any strange noises. I don't want to remove all the free play for fear of cooking the new clutch and I'm wondering if there is a break-in period for a new clutch and/or I need to adjust it for zero free play at first? Any thoughts from the gurus?

Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did get the two smaller ID discs in the right place I hope one goes with the release spring and the other next to the pressure plate. When I put raptor03s together it did the same thing your discribing. I think it just needed a little break in.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I soaked his in oil before I assembled it, I was thinking that may have had something to do with it.??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Did you soak yours or just oil them while assembing?

Old 08-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

I soaked them in oil for about 4 hours while I was taking the old clutch out and grinding those &^$% rivets off the old basket. I'm pretty sure I put the disks in the right order but now you have me nervous. If I didn't get the order correct, would it still work smoothly and shift up/down but not Neutral?

Old 08-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You probably have it together right. I think soaking them may swell the fibers a bit. You might be able to reposition the arm on the shaft to give it a little more throw. If the arm isn't going all the way to a 90 degree angle to the cable when the clutch is pulled in you can get a little more throw out of it by doing that.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You want some freeplay in your cable. 1/8"-1/4" also when you install the cover etc you want to align the marks on the clucth lever. Scroll down the page to where it says clutch side stuff. Here on this page. I think as it gets wore in your shifting into nuetral will get easier. Mine was a bit finiky also at first. Your suppose to soak the fibers in oil before install by the way.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

I tore it all apart again just to make sure I had it together correctly, I did. The things you find do when you can't really ride:-) I took it for a little spin in the neighborhood and everything was working fine. It's still a notchy getting into Neutral but it's getting better and I still have a nickel's worth of free play. I'm sure the first good hard ride will get everything smoothed out.

I'm glad I swapped it when I did, the stock metal plates were burned blue and the pads were black. It may have lasted forever like that and I didn't feel any slippage but it sure didn't look too healthy. Also, the Hinson basket makes the stock basket look like something that belongs on a kid's quad. I was very impressed with the quality and rugged feel compared to the cast aluminum stocker.