Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Cutting out during wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Cutting out during wheelie

I can "power" wheelie fine, but if I get it up real high, at the balance point, going slow in 1st gear, with just barely any throttle, It will cut out, then when the front end falls, the power comes back on. I think it's loading up, and getting rich, but I don't know why. I have a KFX 400 that I can wheelie all day long, you can even stand it straight up on the grab bar, and it runs for a while. Another problem is when I stand the Raptor up on the grab bar for cleaning or whatever, fuel comes running out of the carburetors, With My KFX, I don't even shut the petcock off, and it's fine, With the raptor, I have shut off the fuel, run it till it quits (hoping to drain the float bowls) and when I stand it up, fuel still puddles in the air box, I am wondering if this is related to it cutting out in a wheelie. that reminds me, the fuel mixture screws, are they controlling air or fuel? In other words to go leaner on the low end, do they get screwed in or out?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

You need to raise your floats.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same problem. Someone told me to lower my float bowls. Which is it raise or lower?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I am not sure myself if it is raise or lower. Anyone?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Range Rover

some one should double check, but I believe you raise it

Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Looking at them on the quad, the floats are riding too high which is allowing the bowl to fill past the idle circuits. You need to check the actual level with a clear tube (do a search) and then remove the carbs and bowl to bend the float tang toward the needle valve. Repeat as necessary until the fuel level is just above the bowl mating line (and every once in a while just because the carbs hate you and will change to **** you off:-)

Old 08-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem, your floats from the factory are set at 13mm, if your bike is stock set your floats to 15mm. I recently installed the airbox mod and the problem reoccured so i set the floats even higher now to 18mm (which might be a lil bit too high) but it will do a wheelie all day and it never gives me a problem, yet still has good power on all 4 wheels.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Yoshimura Full exhaust, no airbox lid, pro-flo with K&N and dynojet jet kit, runs great on 4 wheels, starts instantly, idles fine, good transition, no complaints till the front end comes up...real high. If you raise the float level, doesn't that put more fuel in the bowls, and make it load up even easier ?

Old 08-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

By setting the floats higher it does not let as much gas into the floats, you will lose power but you will be able to do wheelies all day long, so it just depends on if you wanna give up some power to be able to do a longer wheelie!!!

Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your float level is to high like ubetrun said. I am now charging a quarter every time I post the way it needs to be checked and adjusted. Do you have paypal?

This is the best way.

The best thing to do is check it before you take it apart, with a piece of clear tubing. You can get the tubing at a hardware store for 20 cents, 1/8" clear tubing.

Thu September 05, 2002 3:11 AM

The quick & easy way to check float levels is to use a clear tube that fits the dump hole on the bottom of the carbs. You'll need at least one foot of tubing. Don't worry about an exact fit, the tubing can be a little bigger which will cause some of the gas to leak out but gravity is forgiving and is constant! You can get the tubing from your Yamaha dealer for a few bucks. Remove the stock dump hole tubing, put the new tubing on there & then bend up the other end and run it along side of the carb with the open end facing up. Then open the drain screw next to where the tube is connected & the level of gas in the tube should fill up & be level with or slightly above the bottom/top half of the carb's mating surface. If not, you'll need to adjust the float levels. A sign that the float levels are too high is if the stock drain tubes leak gas while your riding, you'll smell it for sure.
I just pop the carbs on the boots and set the tank on the frame and hook up the hose to check it again, you may have to take it back off once or twice to get it perfect. I also measure the amount that it is off and then take it apart, measure the float height and then bend the tab enough to raise or lower the float the amount that it was off. If that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: Raptor Cutting out during wheelie