Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carb Mount Choke ~ Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Mount Choke ~ Raptor

My choke cable has froze up again for the second time. The bike won't even idle right at this time because the choke won't shut all the way off now.

I'm ready to just cut the cable down near the carbs and make a plunger or something for it...... Is something like this possible??

Is there already something out there to replace the stock style choke perhaps?

I need to resolve this ASAP and don't want to install another stock set up............ Can someone help me with some ideas???

Thanks,
"TOID"

Old 08-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Raptoid...you can get a choke off of a harley carb. The whole assembly is about 12" long. If you dont have an airbox anymore, the handle will fit into the airbox mounting tab on the left. Second option is to eliminate the choke all together. To do this you need the plunger, spring, and rubber part that screws into the carb. Take the plunger, put it in the chocke hole. Then find something that fits in to the spring and will block off the hole in the rubber part that threads into the carb. What you need is something that will block off air from getting into the hole where the cable normally goes. A decompressor pin works real well. Slide the spring in how it normally goes. The side of the spring that is sticking out is where you put the decompressor pin. Then slide the 'boot' over the pin and spring and screw it into the carb. I dont know how often you use the choke..but if you use it, Id try the harley carb choke first. They're around $18-20. I never used the choke so blocking it off worked for me.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Im working with a machine shop to have a prototype made up similar to the warrior choke. Only problem is the throttle cable housing which it will have to go around slightly.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I'm to the point of "having" to do something.

Doesn't the warrior and the banshee have plunger type chokes? They aren't close enough to make work in just a short time? I mean I don't know, just asking. Talking about a prototype and all.

Thx.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

The warriors plunger is too big but it is the same concept.

Old 08-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Is it not possible to leave about 4-5" of the stock cable and attach a plunger to that, and not have to take it inside the carb?

Old 08-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Pro Rider

Bump! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

Please.........?

Old 08-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eRAPTOID
Is it not possible to leave about 4-5" of the stock cable and attach a plunger to that, and not have to take it inside the carb?
Im not sure what you mean, "not have to take it inside the carb"? You can do anything with the cable you want, cut it-shortne it up but you will have to have some kind of lever for it located somewhere. You will also have to put an end back on the cable, I think you can solder them on.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Cool, yeah that's what I was thinking. Cut the stock cable off near the carb and install a "head" (plunger top) to it and secure it somewhere nearby?!?! Wouldn't that work out, I mean if I can do it with some tact of course (tidy)?

Thanks DoubleOhSeven[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Carb Mount Choke ~ Raptor