Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Going to be upgrading suspension???(RAptor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to be upgrading suspension???(RAptor)

I am finally thinking of getting some aftermarket shocks. I just have a few questions for all you Raptor owners whom have aftermarket shocks on their quad. I want a shock that is going to lower my center of gravity and just wondering which companys shocks have this effect? Also whats the diff. between the regular shocks and the long travel sus., can you still lower your center of gravity with the long travel. Which type of shocks would you recomend and what will it run me abouts to buy them, fronts, and rear. I do mainly fast open trail riding, some slow trail riding, some jumping, no mX style jumping(not that comfortable yet on the big ones [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], thanks alot for your input, any other sugestions wil be g\reatly appreciated

Old 08-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Anything advertised as no sag, zero preload, self sagging, etc. means that you will sit 2-3 inches lower without losing travel. When you jump, the small springs at the top of the shock extend the shock so you have full suspension travel when landing. Long travel a-arms and SSD shocks will also sit lower but extend further when you jump. I have Houser long-travel a-arms and Elka shocks, they are spendy but an incredible improvement over stock. My neighbor has Works SSD on his Banshee and is very happy with them.

Old 08-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

TTT [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

depends on price works steelrs are good and elka

Old 08-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Elka for sure is the best buy for your money, Custom Axis is just plain overpriced and if anything, not much better than Elka's, Works are okay for the average mojo, Ohlins are in between Elka and Works... But for your money, just save the hassle and get Elka's, you sound like you don't need much, so don't bother getting rebound adjustable, maybe piggyback rezzies with compression adjustable at the most for the fronts and rears which come with rebound and compression adjustability, the long travel is just longer setup shock with different setup on the a-arms, so if you get one, you need the other, not just long travel shocks with regular wider a-arms, they work in conjuction with eachother... Gibson, Houser are two just off the top of my head that I know are setup for long travel if you so need in the a-arm department.... It's gonna be costly, but it steps up the Raptor to a whole new level, I'm just waiting to save up enough pennies to get the elite series front shocks in long travel with high and low speed compression adjustments and rebound with quaddruple rate springs with Self sagging setup for the fronts, not sure which arms, maybe Houser or Gibson not sure +2 or +3, maybe 3 wide, and +1 forward.... Then rear dual rate SSD dual adj.... Seting mine up for XC and Baja style high speed riding... Buying a new 450 for MX only...