Blaster wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Cly
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster wont start

Hi all...

I bought a 97 blaster about 3 weeks ago and it has ran pretty good,But I parked it the otherday and when I went to start it up it wont start.I have spark.I t use to start on the first or second kick but it wont even try now.I checked the plug and I think I am getting fuel.Could it be the compression?I can push the kick starter down with my hand.It ran fine when I parked it.I was told that the upper end had just been redone when I bought it.Any suggestions??????

Thanks Cly

Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

YUP, compression problem most likey. Had the same thing happen to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. What u got to do is get a big bore kit to the next bore. and install dat. around 250 bucks for sleve and piston and gaskets and rings.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

can you push start it?.....

Old 08-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Cly
Weekend Warrior

I haven't tried to push or pull start it.I was just wanting to get alittle more than 3 week outta it before I had to do stuff ti it.But I didnt have the money for a new one so here I am.

I work on cars at a dealership for a living.I think I can replace the piston and stuff myself.You said something about a bigbore kit.What dose that come with and where can you get them from?

Thanks Cly

Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

Well I had a blaster for a long time and it could be a compression problem. I tried starting mine one day after I had it running the day before and it would not start. That time it turned out to be a broken ring. But another time it died on the trail while it was running, took me a while to find, but it was the key in the fly wheel. I had not tightend the fly wheel to spec after puting a new crank seal... my fault.

Hope that kinda helps....

Old 08-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Cly
Weekend Warrior

I read that to do a compression check you hook up the gauge and kick it over till the gauge stops moving.Is this correct and if so what kind of readings should I get?I can't remember if it was hard to kick over before when it ran good.I don't thin that it was.

Thanks Cly

Old 08-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

To tell you the truth I am not 100 % sure, but I think thats how it works. The best thing to do is perform a leak down test but, thats a lot more work than a compression test. When my ring broke I just took an educated guess and took the head off and thats what it was. You should also know that my blaster was a 94 and had never been taken apart and the ring broke in 2002. She was a tough bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

itsa 2-stroke what do u expect to happen

Old 08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

either they were lying about re-doing the top end, or the piston grenaded i dont know for sure unless i look at it. so tear the engine down to see what kind of damage there could be. def very very low on compression probably time for a complete top end rebuild. first of all tear it down and find out the piston size and then figure out how much it needs to be bored. i would do everything while in there main bearings, a new crank+rod, bore it, and put in either a vitos superstock forged piston what are here are very good, or a wiseco forged. i know wisecos expand and people complain about them seizing up and destroying engines but as long as the shop clearences the cylinder specifically for a wiseco you should be fine and give plenty of time to warm up. remember go the lowest possible bore size over so if need be you can rebuild again in the future and the machine doesnt overheat as easy. good luck. if the compression looks good then it could be related to the kick starter. i have heard components on the kick starter shaft fail and when kicking u arent turning the engine over at all. tear it down and let us know.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

mine did that once and I put a new plug in and got pulled and it start right up. it was just a plug and it was down for 3 days. so try that first. sometimes you even buy a bad plug that's why I always buy 3 to 4. My blaster would fowl plugs if it did start on the first couple of kicks. try this first so you don't waste money on a rebuild if you don't need it. just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: Blaster wont start