Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster 240

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster 240

I was going to do the 490 also, but since my surgery my wife is flipping out on the idea. So i'm buying a raptor and waiting on the 490.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Thanks everybody for responding. i dont think im gonna go for that 490, but thanks anyway. one thing i found though at trenga is their "ultimate 240 kit". its a little more than i had wanted to pay, but its not a bad deal because it comes with a pipe and silencer, 36mm carb, reed cage, cylinder, head, piston, and other stuff. plus, i was planning on getting most of that stuff anyway, and i added it all up, and it would cost me about the same to do this as it would to buy all the parts separately. plus their graph actually makes sense, lol, and says that with this kit ill put out 40.7 hp. thats definately a good power increase, so i think its worth it. now i just have to wait til i can scrounge up $1400. but i think this would be a good kit for me, and i wouldnt have to worry about problems with it fitting right and working right. so unless you have anything to tell me about this kit, ill probably go with that. also, CT offers the same kit here(ct sells it to trenga who sells it again to customers) and i was wondering whether you think i should get the kit through CT or trenga, or would it make a difference? thanks again

Old 08-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

is it possible to put a yamaha 490 engine on a blaster i have a friend with a 490 and was looking at it and they look similar in the mounting except for the swingarm is it possible if so hows it do?

Old 08-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Johnny,
Maybe I wasn't clear enough this morning. I have a 265 National kit for sale. Entire engine, carb and custom pipe. The carb is the 36 air stryker not a 35 like I posted above. I am gonna sell it for $1400. It uses the specs of Trinity [bore and stroke] with Trenga's porting and a custom Power Pro's 265 satin pipe. [Power Pro's makes pipes for CT, Graydon and others] We had the Ultimate 240 kit on it before with the CT pipe and it didn't have near the torque as the 265. They claim 40.7hp and I believe that their dyno showed 40.7, this 265 has more. Ours went 38.8 on MMI's dyno at the rear wheels with 18" holeshots not TT tires. I would have liked to run on their dyno that day, I bet we could've pushed 44hp. Remember you will have a full bottom end with our engine, great for back-up or to sell and get $350 of your money back. We've built 3 hopped up Blaster engines and have used Trenga extensively, they make great stuff but nothing that runs like this 265. Ten trips to Glamis and no Blaster was close. Beats most 250R's up the hills. That includes modded ones.

The only reason we are gonna sell this engine is to stuff a YZ490 engine in the Blaster. We have an ATC250R, TRX465 and a couple of new Honda 450's on the way. My partner and I co-own the Blaster, ATC and 465 so we have to many finished projects already. Soon as it cools down we are gonna sell the ATC and the 465. We want the Ultimate Sleeper at the Hill. A Blaster 490 is probably the ticket.

I can send you pictures and more info if you would like. I would really like the person who buys this to use it in the dunes where this engine belongs the Trenga +4 swingarm is for sale too.

Let me know if you would be interested. -RT

Old 08-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

trx,
interesting offer you have there. Now let me tell you what I have cooking in my mind. Years ago way back when I had an 89 blaster. After it nearly killed me and all my friends by riding us as much as we rode it I traded it off. Now that im older and possibly a bit more prepared to die, as luck would have it my old blaster can be bought back for 75 dollars. I am 100 percent sure that it is even MORE ragged than it was when i traded it for I know who all has owned it in the past....ohhh .......say 10 years. i said all that to say this: Would the engine your offering fit that old a blaster?

Old 08-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Vamp,

Why yes it would and for $50 more I'll send you a seat with any color/design seatcover you would like!

My Grandma is from Florence. I'm part of the Pope family, lots of them in your area. I have some Towery cousins that live in Muscle Shoals too. Let me know, I have lots of pretty pictures too. -RT

Old 08-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Sorry TRX, i think what youre talking about is a great offer, but im going to have to pass, i like things new and i like knowing that if i have any problems that i can talk directly to the company who made it. i do a lot of dune riding, but once in a while i do a little trail riding. not mud bogs or anything, just trails, so i want this to be a rideable trail bike, not purely dunes. it doesnt have to be perfect, but just good enough for the occasional trail. i was also wondering if anybody knew of a company who makes custom seat covers and or graphic kits/ paint jobs for a blaster (new blaster '03-newer). one thing about the blaster that i notice is it has a very short wheelbase and is very prone to the front end coming off the ground, and i was just wondering if you think a +4 swingarm would be enough to keep the front end down for steep hillclimbs after this engine mod. and what brand do you reccomend? thanx

P.S. anyone want to answer my question about suspension?

Old 08-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Someone recently suggested to me that i get a 250R rear shock and replace my blasters stock one. i know ive heard of a lot of blasters with this modification. does the 250R shock have more travel than my stock one with 7.1? i know this shock would have preload, compression and rebound adjustment, instead of just preload like my stocker. also, im planning on getting a +4 swingarm, would there be any problems mounting this shock to that? thanx

Old 08-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Trx, I am trying to get a hold on the people who have my blaster now so I can see if there is enough of it left to salvage. Then I will go from there. Maybe you will still have the engine if I can use it. Oh, is the swingarm a neccessary item on a 40 hp blaster? or is that just for duning?

Old 08-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster 240

Vamp,
I cant say with full confidence that this is the right answer to your question, but i would lean towards the negative on that swingarm being mandatory. just from the numbers i would say that the blaster would be better off for takeoff and you wouldnt have to worry about flipping, but im sure you COULD ride it with a standard swingarm. im just doing it for the dunes. also you have to think about the fact that a longer swingarm makes your turning radius a lot larger. i dont know what kind of riding you plan to do with it, but if youre doing any tight twisty trails i wouldnt recommend the swingarm, youll just have to learn to manage that power.

Quick Reply: Blaster 240