Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FYI..3 aftermarket Pipe decibals readings...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI..3 aftermarket Pipe decibals readings...

I got pulled over with a buddy for a sound check,but dident get a ticket ..thank god.....

i have some #'s on 3 aftermarket pipes...Yoshimura comp series..101 DB
White bros. R4=102 DB
Alba Pipe=102 DB

Old 08-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I thought the Yosh pipe was quieter than that...Does anybody have any idea how loud it is with the TEC insert?

Old 08-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

one thing that bumbs me out is that the only pipe that will pass is the stocker,that what get's me mad..i think they set it at 96 for that reason so we wont have any fun...

Old 08-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I know that sucks...There aren't many aftermarket pipes out there that are lower than 96db's...I think the FMF Q-series is pretty quiet and I heard the MBRP is around 94db's....

Old 08-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

These pipes were all on Raptors? The Alba was with disks or open end cap? Where were you riding? Thanks Sam.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yea Sam where were you. I just went from the R4 to the Alba. Looks like they are the same in DB's. As long as the Alba that was tested was the one with the race tip.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah....it really sucks. I have the Pro Circuit T-4 and it measures 102Db. I'm taking my stockie with me just in case District 37 or the BLM says anything about the noise this weekend. I just hope I can get by with it....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

i have said it before but it is worth repeating that the fmf q -muffler when used with the power bomb header makes a very good quiet(TESTED AT 92 DB)set up.the q and power bomb header may not make as much horsepower at the very top of the rpm range but it does very well at low to mid rpm,s and that is where the power is most useable for most situations.i am not saying that i agree with the restrictions for sound but if you want to be legal there are very few choices and i have worked very hard to get my raptor to run strong with this set up and it has paid off.remember that a higher hosepower(LOUDER)pipe will not do you any good if you are forced to trailer your machine because you could not meet the sound level requirements.i am not trying to defend the restrictions imposed on us but if you get your machine equipped with a quieter pipe and work to get the most out of it with proper jetting you will be ahead of the game when everyone else is trying to figure out what they can do to meet the requirements.i put the fmf set up on before the sound checks get too intense as i know they will just so i can ride without having to worry about being legal or not.it takes a lot of experimentation with air box mods and jetting but good performance can be had with some of the quieter pipes.

Old 08-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

hey dune there is that new dual exhaust by ltl that was very quiet, i think i'm going to look into that i think they said they were hitting in the high 80's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] plus it has a different look, and it ran a lot better than the harley piped raptors we saw.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

LTL? i havent heard of that one but if i could find a better flowing exhaust for the raptor or the baja i would probably go for it if it would meet the sound requirements or come very close.SANDMAN-your graydon doesnt sound very loud have you had it tested ,it doesnt sound like it would be too far off from legal and it seems to build good power.i am still trying to find a relatively quiet exhaust set up for the baja and the graydon may be the way to go.right now i am getting my starter on the raptor fixed so the baja pipe will have to wait a while but i will pipe it soon because i really dont like the feel of a corked up four stroke.

Quick Reply: FYI..3 aftermarket Pipe decibals readings...