Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor hit the fence and i hit the power pole.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor hit the fence and i hit the power pole.

Shorttrack 660 & I met at winfield for another saturday night race. Hot laps were pretty fair, Josh was tight (still pretty fast) and I was loose.
Not sure if he made any changes. He said the track gets loose as the night goes on so he may have just waited for the track to come to him.
My oldest brother joined me a few weeks ago playing the role of crew chief.( now there's two of us that don't know a damn thing about race set up). (WE'RE LEARNING FAST, HE HAS BEEN A HUGH HELP).
We made an air pressure adjustment to tighten the dirtdevil up, watched a little racing,(conversed) & decided to make another air pressure adjustment to tighten it up a little more.
We lined up across the front stretch, just out of turn four, six wide.
Josh had drawn starting position # 2, and myself #6.
At the drop of the flag, entering turn 1 in the order of myself out front, the 350R in second, shorttrack 660 in third, and the rest of the pack following.
Not knowing how the dirtdevil was going to handle after the changes we had made,I took the corners kind of cautiously on the first lap.
This allowed the 350R to close the three bike length lead I had at turn one and bringing with him, (very very close) was my buddy shorttrack 660.
First lap was really good so I pulled up the anchor and let her go.
By lap three I had a four to five bike length lead and the old dreaded (but faithfull) push decided to show up.
Exiting turn four on the fifth lap, the 350R had closed the gap enough that I could hear him. (again shorttrack 660 was so close to him, I wasn't sure if he was racing him or tring to breed him.
The 350R got by me exiting turn two on lap number six to take the lead.
Instead of seeing the checkerd flag on lap eight (which I hadn't quite made it to the last two weeks), Yellow was waiving from every where.
Learning why later,My old buddy, shorttrack 660, after hearing a miss, moved up out of the racing groove on lap six through turns one and two thinking he had engine trouble.
After realizing he was running in fourth instead of fifth he rejoined the race but had allowed a 400EX to get by him.
Entering turn one on lap seven Josh was passing the 400EX on the high side.
The 400ex was fighting a push and ran Josh out of race track.
Josh hit the marbles, AND AWAY HE WENT hitting the same pole I had tried to flatten two weeks prior.
Well, the score stands, POLE 2, racers 0.
As of Sunday @ 9:00pm he is still a patient @ Winfield Hospital awaiting his first meal since arrival.
Cream of chicken soup was the only item on the menu for a man in his condition.
I guess thats better than I.V. food.
PATIENT CONDITION STANDS:
Floating fluid in his belly. (subsiding).
Swollen right thigh. (sore but will subside).
Last but not least, the biggest set of ***** in Winfield.
Unfortunatly this will subside also.
Every body take care, race hard, and don't write anything this long for me to read.

this post was made bt dirtdevil660 in another place while i was in the hospital,hope you enjoyed the story.wear a cup if you race.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

yikes! get well soon

Old 08-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I saw the pic of your leg...OUCH!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I hope you get better soon!!!
Good luck at the Nats.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like fun except for thr wrecking part. Hope everything heals up quick. I have always thought oval racing would be a blast but nobody does it around here. I am curious about your setup. From my ice racing experience I know that front shocks don't work right with the lowering kit because of the angle change. Have you tried shorter shocks from a warrior or blaster? It may help with the pushing. I am surprised your not using swaybars.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

Oh, I looked at your pics again and see you are using sway bars.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

hope u get better soon and can ride. That had to hurt and i dont see the pictures of ur leg?

D [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2003, 11:13 AM

shorttrack does use warrior shocks in the front. He told me that it lowers the front 3 inches, but they bottom out easier. For shortrack racing, bottoming out really isnt a problem,

Patrick