Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Paddles- How Tall? How Wide? How Many?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddles- How Tall? How Wide? How Many?

Careful of those Taller Haulers.... maybe just a rumor but I heard that they have a tendancy to want to break transmissions because they hook up so much. I would be tempted to stay with the extremes but go to a 9 paddle. I think that will be my next tire.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

BlackWidow

Thanks for the heads up on the taller haulers, that's what I thought the first time I saw them, but that kawi 400, so far, had no problems, think I'll stay with the extremes, thinking about the 9 paddle though.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I currently run 9 paddle extremes on the 20 inch casings and have no problem turning them. I almost wish that I had more tire when I get into the soft sand but so often we have wet, heavy sand that I don't think I really want to do that.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

BlackWidow

The only place I run paddles are in Oregon, only been to Sandlake, but want to venture down to Coos Bay area next year. The two or three places we have sand up here don't warrant sand tires, just dirt tires, and since there are no hill climbs paddles are not required.

Old 09-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

With all this paddle discussion, you guys got me thinking. RIght now Im running 21x11x10 Geckos with a 12 tooth front sprocket, piped, jetted. In a couple of weeks Im gonna put in a 11:1 stock bore Wiseco, HC Stage 1, Nology Spark wire and a pro flow intake. What paddles do you guys recommend for drag racing at sea level? I just got my geckos cuz they looked cool and got a killer deal on them, but I feel like they arent cutting it going up hills, or on flat drags, cornering is fine but Im most concerned with uphill/flat drags.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Cali, the extremes hook up way better than the Geckos. I don't think I have ever heard one person say, "I bought these extremes, but I liked my Gecko's better." (=

Old 09-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Dextreme. Ever heard the saying, "You get what you pay for"?? That's pretty much it!!

Cali... I'm going to kinda guess a little bit because I don't know what the sand is like down there... but I'd say either a 20-10-10, 9 paddle or 10 paddle... OR some of the taller (21 or 22 inch) 9 paddle Extreme haulers. Just kinda depends. I like the idea of taller tires up here because I have issues with trying to get up treeline runs that have deep ruts in them a lot of times and the taller tires help keep the carrier out of the sand.

There are LOTS of people who run 20 inch tires and have no problems with them... just comes down to what you're doing with them.

Also keep in mind that there are Scat Trak "Ultra lites" that are pretty much a specific drag tire. They're pretty expensive and use very lightweight casings. Just remember that if you want them to hold up to abuse such as sticks or rocks from time to time that these tires may not be for you. I won't go to them just for that reason. I'm in the thick of the brush a lot and go through some pretty rough trails sometimes.

You may want to look around a little bit in your riding area to see what others are running when doing similar riding as you.

The one really good piece of advice I can give you is .. Get rid of those Geckos!!!!!

Old 09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

We've got really loose/soft sand here, no ruts or rocks..just pure sand. A lot of the people I ride with have straight paddles...dont know what kind, but theyve got extremely moded banshees, some other guys have V paddles but on stock quads. Im not gonna be close to being stock and just want some paddles that will hold up and do the job right. So some 9 paddle haulers will do huh? RIght now I feel the geckos arent cutting it, either they dont dig or they are too heavy or something, a friend with other V paddles whooped me, and hes stock! I think Im even faster with my stock tires going up dunes! Thanks for your help black [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you're running in really loose soft sand, I'd go with 20-10-10, 10 paddle Extremes or the taller version of 10 paddle Extremes. The problem that I run into is that the sand up here a lot of times is wet and I don't think that I could spin 10 paddles enough to make it worth having them...... at least for now!! (He he he he!!)

I had a buddy that had Geckos on his DS when he first got it. That thing wouldn't get out of it's own way! He went to 21-11-10, 9 paddle extremes and Holy Cow!!!!! Went from burying itself all of the time to lifting the front end all of the time! It's amazing what a good set of tires will do for you... sand or dirt.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the paddles on the Geckos are really soft and not reinforced at all. The Extreme's have Kevlar molded into the paddles and makes them super stiff.... even compared to the regular Haulers. IMO... the Extremes are worth the extra 5 bucks per tire.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Old 09-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

How durable are the extremes? I heard they won't last if you have to ride on alittle harder packed sand. Like the roads by the canals and over to paton at Gordens well.

Quick Reply: Paddles- How Tall? How Wide? How Many?