Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor blowing fuses...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor blowing fuses...help

CHeck this out.

I found my battery positive terminal was so loose that the cable fell off. After I put it back on, I now continue to blow fuses...when I hit the starter.

Once when it did not blow a fuse I hit the start button and it started, but the button then started sticking, and then the fuse blew again.

I dissected the start/stop switch assembly and found the start button return spring collapsed, I think from high current??? I repaired that.

I've troubleshooted everything I could, using the manual and my personal experience as a technician, but cannot locate the problem.

The starter motor tests good and cranks when jumped, the relay pulls in when it's jumped, the start and stop switches all work fine too, I've tested all the circuits using the wiring diagrams but still could not locate the trouble. I could not troubleshoot thru the CDI unit.

Anybody got any ideas, before it goes to the shop on warranty???

Old 08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

You are going to need an ohm meter. Disconnect the battery, and measure the ohms across both terminals, there probably isnt a short at that point or your quad would be in meltdown or on fire since the battery isnt fused just the accessories, lights switches, starter relay, CDI,. voltage reg etc.

Pull the fuse out at the starter relay, measure both terminals to ground. Disconnect stuff until you find what is shorting.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

I did all that and did not find any problem.

The only thing I could not check was the CDI unit, as two of the three wires on the starter solenoid are routed thru there. The Third wire goes from the starter solenoid to the start switch, and it's the relay looking for a ground, to pull in the starter.

It seems so darn simple yet I can't find anything wrong. I really think it's something in the CDI unit, But tonight when I get home I'll double check the two wires from the relay to the CDI.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I had the EXACT same problem with my Raptor. The dealership said I needed to replace the battery and the starter relay. I did and still blew fuses.

At first the starter button seemed to work intermittently, and sometimes it would seem to stick and the starter would keep running till I whacked the button again. After awhile it would not even turn over, just pop fuses.

The answer for me was the CDI box. I was using an aftermarket Dyna box, and switching back to the stocker fixed all the problems. When I replaced the Dyna box with a new one it ran fine. So here is my advice to you. Find a buddy with a Raptor, borrow his CDI box, and give it a try. I bet it will solve your problem. Keep us posted!

RR1

Old 08-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention, I bet when the the pos. cable came loose and was making intermittent contact with the terminal, the surges in power fried the internals of the CDI.

RR1

Old 08-26-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

RaptorRacer1: Yeah that's what my troubleshooting has led me to. I double checked each starter solenoid wires against ground and could not find anything that was shorting to ground.

I did find about 2 meg ohms to ground on one wire there, but that's proabably about right for the ignition ckt.

The way I look at it, is that damn battery connection screwed up because some fool at the dealership probably made a mistake, AND i AM SURE THAT THIS PROBLE MANIFESTED ITSELF BECAUSE OF HIGH CURRENT DUE TO LOOSE CONNECTION. Whatever, I guess it's time to see if that Yamaha warranty is worth a crap.;

I keep ya posted!!

Old 08-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

AND I don't really mind the thing screwing up except that my big vacation event each year is the Reno Air Races, and thata's in two weeks, and I only hope that they can fix the thing by then.

If not, no problem, I'll just drink and smoke more, to make the Warrior seem faster....hahahahahahaha

Old 08-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well I took the Raptor down to Concord Yamaha yesterday to get this fuse thing resolved, and here's what they found.

It seems when I was installing my trailtech speedo and light set up, I had pinched the wire to the coolant temp idiot light and of course when the starter pulls in this light lights up, or in my case shorts to ground and blows the fuse. I don't know why I couldn't find that fault, but maybe thats why they call them idiot lights......

So one hour's labor later, problem resolved.

Thanks for the responses.

Happy again!