Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor or DS 650??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor or DS 650??

Get a KFX700...its better then both the DS650 and the rappy..i ride with both quads everyday...the rappy is fast on top...then the vforce but it takes the raptor along time to get to the top...and the raptor dont handle nearly as good as the Vforce...If you your blood is blue..get a YZF450..its twice the quad as the raptor...BTW..i went to the iron river WI Quad races today and the Vforces were kicking some butt..the only quad that was beating the vforces was a 88 250r..the YZF's did crappy..but who knows...the riders proley were noobs too so..its all in what your looking for..good luck with your choice!

Old 09-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

vforces seem like they could get old after a little while cuz theres no challenge to them. When climbing a hill you dont have to make sure your in the right gear or you wont make it. But thats the fun in it. And I have yet to see a yfz lose to a vforce so I dont know what were wrong with the ones out in WI

Old 09-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

no gears to v force no challenge but i witght eh rappy owners the ds wlooks like a hard duner rider with the frobnt fenders and stuff the rappyu has reverce and when you put money into a rappy it will dominate prettyy much all commpitition

Old 09-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Range Rover

i duno i like the rappy a little more cuz of the lower wieght but i didnt like the high center of gravity so i said widen and put better shocks on. every one has there own opinion, thats mine

Old 09-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: SpArX
The DS is too big and heavy for the bushes and mud too if you like to ride in that stuff... q]

lol, o really? thats wierd since thast pretty much all i ride, but the 22" do help in those areas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], btw can u even fit 22" on a stock rappy?

Old 09-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Yes you can put 22" tires on the Raptor. DS is danged wide, would be impossible to fit on some of the trails we ride locally. At a poker run ( Jones Creek WA ) we were on today the Raptor had to squeeze through some trees with zero clearance. If you were riding a DS there you would have had to quit the trails and ride the road. I did see a DS Baja there but with the trails as narrow as they were I doubt he took the long course, if he did he's one helluva rider or found an alternate route!

Old 09-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

I was at the Jones Creek Poker run also. I was on my V and my buddy was on his Raptor. He fit through every tight spot. I did not. Had to make a few alternate routes. The DS would have had the same results.

But, he must have hit bottomed out on rocks 40+times. With the high clearance of the V I maybe hit 2 or 3 and they did no damage to the stock metal skid plates.

I guess ideally you would have a Raptor that you could make wider only for the dunes. (My friends rolled his there a few times)

Old 09-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think I saw you guys there, parked in the trees. How'd you do on the bridges with the V?

Old 09-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Well most were ok but on two of them I was touching both sides. I could have let go of the handlebars and let the bridge steer me.

In general the V did great, but some of the tight trails in the middle of the course sucked. Even my friend on the Raptor did not enjoy it.

Plus we got really tired. Our friend got stuck behind us on the first segment. So we waited at the first check point for 20 min. People comming through said he was stuck off the course less than a mile back and no one was helping him. So we hiked up about a mile but no luck. Hiked out. Ranger told us how to drive down the fire road and come back into the course so we did that and half of the first segment again. Someone said he was hiking out farther down the trail. So we rode to the bottom and found him rode up segment one again and got him free.

To make a long story short we rode 60 or 65 miles instead of 45. Buy the end of the long couse I was slap happy.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

i personally do not like the ds650, first of all its a bombardier, it weighs more then a raptor but not much more since they came out with the DS650 BAJA X, which makes it sound even g@yer, i know raptors get around trails much easier because i have ridden with a guy that had a ds650 and he didnt get through trails as well as i did...

Quick Reply: Raptor or DS 650??