Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

shee, yfz, or rappy

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shee, yfz, or rappy

Are banshees good in the trails? or is the yfz better?
I'm thinking about selling my warrior and getting a yfz, shee, or raptor?

I kinda what to get a shee before they stop making them
I'm kinda iffy about a 1st year quad...the yfz... and the price

I'll be riding mostly around the yard, trails, and maybe a little dunes

Old 09-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to say it but if your just gonna put putting around on trails and yards go for the rappy. The yfz is more of a race bike and doesn't have the trail ability as the raptor and yet the rappy will still dune w/ the best of them. Unless your constantly riding in 4-6th on your warrior I wouldn't get the 'shee. It can be made more trail friendly (mine is) but it takes some$$$.

Mike

Old 09-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Range Rover

D@mn it!!!.....now you got me thinking about the Raptor....lol

Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Raptor has reverse man...and plenty of power. Slap a pipe and jet kit on that Raptor and watch out...the power is awesome. So if your looking for a wheelie poppin, hill climbin, a$$ whoopin machine...look no further then the YFM660R.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Well, I got it narrowed down to the Raptor or Banshee now....

Old 09-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

I am selling my shee cause it's trail ability. I don't feel like spending money to get mine to be good on trails. I think the raptor would be your best choice!

Old 09-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

The yfz is more of a race bike and doesn't have the trail ability as the raptor...

Help me out with this "trailability" thing. Why wouldn't a race bike (YFZ450) work well in an environment where it was designed to excel - turning? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I don't understand. MY YFZ does just fine on trails. Even w/o reverse.

selector

Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

someone started a rumour [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Its human nature to try to label things so that you feel more secure about it. Everyone knows that Yamaha made the YFZ with motocross in mind so people think that it must suck in everything else... and if the YFZ is the MX quad for Yamaha then the Raptor must be the trail quad, and the Banshee the drag quad... maybe its a stretch but time and time again I see people post opinions that are based on assumption (I'm sure Ive done it as well although I'd rather play dumb and get an answer than play a know it all and never learn anything).

The YFZ works great in trails as long as you have room to maneuver... technically all quads could have problems in the trails if the trail was made for a motorcycle. I've had a blast on trails with my YFZ ... and I've also had to abandon specific trails where other quads continued because the trails were just too narrow for the wide stance (even stock) of the YFZ. With such a wide variety of trails and the tendency for them to not conform to a specific width, I think that if I were going to ride nothing but trails the rest of my life I would not have the YFZ... I don't know what I would choose as I can only assume what might be better having never rode a Raptor or a Z (the other 2 bikes I contemplated getting).

However, if you want a quad that can do everything and most things well and not necessarily have to buy anything for it... the YFZ is the way to go. The YFZ may be a dominator in the MX area but it is so versatile that it can be fun doing just about anything.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I was talking to a guy this weekend at the red river and he said it(the yfz) wasn't as trail happy as his raptor was. He said it was more high strung.. kinda like a 2-stroke but w/ more torque (what he said). I have never rode one first hand.. sorry if I started anything.

Mike

Quick Reply: shee, yfz, or rappy