Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

better quality:400ex or raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better quality:400ex or raptor

i was just curious to hear you guys opinions on which quad was made better. Better workmanship, better parts, etc. This excludes the 01 raptor trannies cause we know those were junk. I was hoping i could hear from someone that knows enough about engines that could say for a fact... this tranny is weak, these bearings are crappy, this clutch is flimsy, and so on. just kinda give a review on the actual components of each quad.

I myself have not had my raptor long enough to vouch for reliability and strength. I do know yamaha is capable of building something bulletproof because i had a warrior and that thing took a beating and a half. i hear from some 400ex's are very reliable but then i hear from others the cases or something tend to break with the upped horsepower.

just let me know what ya think. thanks

Old 09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had both an 01 and an 02 Raptor and had 0 problems with both. I rode them both with no problems. I got rid of them for personal reasons. Anyway, I did not jump or race or anything like that, but I did stupid stuff like ride the raptors at top speed down the highway for extended periods of time. That is not a big test on the susp, but a huge test on the engine and tranny which took it like a champ.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

ive never had a raptor or rode one but the quality of the 400ex is great. my friend raced his and ran it wide open 90% of the race because he had bald tires it held up great. and the motor is still running strong today. he hasent had ne trouble with the suspention or chassis and really the only maintence hes done to it is new handlebars that were bent from rolling down a hill and brake pads. there great for the price you pay for them.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

ex's are slow............get a rappy...........
I have found that the quality is no difference..........I haven't had a problem with my rappy..........and I ride the **** out-a it.........
and my brother has one and does the same.........again no prollems.........

Old 09-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

And the technology is quite a bit better than the 400ex. Suspension is so much softer and nicer. Kind of like riding a in a 3/4ton pickup compared to a caddy.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Now that the Raptor has been out for a few years we all see the flaws.

The 400ex had its problems too. ('99 swingarm)

Hands down the 400ex is a tougher built bike. Motor, frame, everything.

Its also a way simpler bike (air cooled) and not as high performance. So you should expect a little more longevity from the EX.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

400ex's have been more reliable around here. I have like 5 or 6 friends that have1 and theyre all dumbas@es always flipping them and what not, and they still run like new, they look like sh*t but run like new. Theres only been like 3 or 4 ppl around here that have owned raptors. One guy flipped it and never fixed it i guess, another flipped well more like rolled it a couple of times at low speed and bent the swingarm, a tie rod, the axle, and cracked the front rim. The other 2 either broke down or were sold cause they are now riding 400ex's. A 400ex will last forever (litterally) if u take care of it. I presonally like the suspension on the ex better, i would almost always fall of the raptor when i did a no footer and didnt land in time this wouldnt happen on the ex. No handers on the raptor felt funny when i would land i would feel like i was gonna be bounced off or something. Overall quality would go to the 400ex handsdown, people just prefer the raptor because its slightly faster but with more speed comes less dependability.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CrAcKhEaD
but with more speed comes less dependability.
That is where you're wrong... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

how so?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

ds650, fast and built like a tank

Quick Reply: better quality:400ex or raptor