Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carb questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb questions....

I bought my Raptor used. Upon opening up the carb one needle was at a lower position than the other. Also I screwed the air screw all the way in and turned it out 3 times.. however the bike seems to be running rich now. It runs when I cut the gas off but as soon as I wick the throttle it dies. I'm assuming it's the air screw. I know one carb gets a smaller jet than the other but what about the needle position?

Old 09-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is the bike stock? Stock is 140 main in the left carb, 145 main in the right carb as you sit on the quad, needles on the 3rd clip from top and air screws aprox 1 3/4 - 2 turns out.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

i beleive that the needle should be in the second postion for the stock machine. are their any mods to the machine or did the guy half a$$ rejett it or something?

Old 09-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

opps i mean 3rd position

Old 09-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

The bike seemed half assed. I'm assuming both needles needed to be in the same postion right? The bike runs but ONLY when I have the gas off.. or the Choke fully on? I turned the air screws out 3 turns and the bike seems to be gett WAY too much gas.. I smelled it as I was trying to start it. So close.. I need to get this baby going.. I Miss riding.

Old 09-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check the diaphrams on top of the carbs for any tears etc. It's an 01 so also remove the choke plunger from the carb and check it. It might be corroded and will need to be replaced with the upgraded cable.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Check your choke cable, check adjust valves, and if its all stock 3 turns out is way too much and will cause you to smell gas when you start it up. close them up to the specs that are ginvin on here.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I replaced the spring and the needle like thing on the choke lever. I will remove it tomorrow and see what it yields. Just running crappy.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Okay I can get the bike running an idle...(belive it or not.. 8 1/2 turns out onthe air screws) but when I wick the throttle it wants to die. If I let it run and turn the gas off... in effect leaning it out, it runs fine until it runs out of gas and then it high revs on it's own. Any ideas? Diaphrams are ok. I also forget ( I always do ) which direction of the clip goes to lean or richen it up on the needle. Thanks for any info.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

To richen the midrange, put the clip lower on the needle. I thought you said it would idle at 3 turns out? I didn't even know they'd go 8 turns before falling out! Is your air filter on? Is it clean? Are the carb boots all in place and snug? If everything else checks out OK (including the choke) and you have the right needles and jets *and* haven't mixed up the air screws (they are different!), try turning up your idle as you decrease the number of turns on the air screw.

Quick Reply: Carb questions....