Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone have any info on this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any info on this for me?

I just replaced my chain two and a half weeks ago and now I noticed this last weekend that when I am throttling its fine so when I let off the throttle I hear a nois from the chain... I narrowed it down to it rubbing on the lower part of my case saver. So I looked at my chain and lifted the rear tires off the ground and turned the wheels a few revolutions and found that I have allot of kinks in my chain. So I figured this out, when there is torque on the chain it straights it out but when I let off the throttle it just goes around and around the gears with kinks and I am wondering if the kinks are whats hitting my case saver. It doesnt do it spinning the tires, I have to be about 20 mph or over for it to make this noise. My question is, is the chain bad already because of the kinks? I purchased a no o-ring chain this time to fit my extended axle. I have never had a chain have so many kinks, especially a new one.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Have you oiled your chain lately?? A "dry" chain kinks and binds, my buddies R was back end was clicking until he oiled his chain.

Mike

Old 09-14-2003, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I pretty much soak it with chain lube every ride.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

My brand new renthal kinked up after about 3 rides, I was like WTF?? It came w/ that nasty chain wax shiz on it and the dirt was sticking to my chain. Had to scrub and oil it about 3 REAL GOOD times to get that shiz off. Thats the only other thing I can think of, sorry if that don't help.

Mike

Old 09-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok, I will take it off and soak that chain in some oil.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

soak it in diesel. It has oil in it and will also clean it aswell.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Beechman - Ok, I was told that but was not for sure. I will try that first only because I tried the oil on my last chain and it just didnt work.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

so you have a Non O-ring chain.

My buddy uses nothing but WD40 on his non o-ring chain, evryone says not to do this. but at the track...when polling people with non o-ring chains...it turns out to be surprisingly common. they all say they soak it with WD before every ride and it seems to keep it very clean as well.

between races they soak it again...at the end of the day another blast...and right before they ride again.

Hope i did'nt add more confusion.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

good seeing you bud,nice racing you and glad you got your bike back, i am real happy with the paddles and now i need my gearing and a swingarm, ..I was racing a banshee,that yellow and black one,well he did one gearing change and before he did that he was 3 bikes behind me and then changed his gearing and was almost even,i need to figure out what gearing to run,but i dont run flats mostley hill drags

Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks - kuz28 - I will have to try this also. Just keep it soaked pretty much each day then and more if your riding. See if that will loosen up. I had bigbaja tell me he had the same thing and his chain was loose so I am going to check that out when I get home as well.

Raptor03 - What did you think of my Sparks bike? Also, you should try the gearing I spoke to you about. It really makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any info on this for me?