Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

r mx mods for rappy big impovements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r mx mods for rappy big impovements?

well let me confirm something. When one says " +2 a arms" doesnt that mean it is 2 inches wider on each side over stock. If this is so it would make the total front end increase +4 right? and when it come to axle's +3,+4, +5 means the total increase in rear end width? If i get a +5 axle and +3 a arms, wouldnt that make my front end wider than my rear? isnt it usually supposed to be the rear end a little wider if anything? thats what i though, however i may be wrong.

As far as power to weight ratio goes, yes a little machine im sure does fly through the track better. Like a 450 lets say. but wouldnt it be better to compare it to things the raptor would actually race like a pred, ds, 700, etc? in that case, isnt the raptor the lightest just in general and prob has the most power to weight ratio?

i came off a warrior and although when it comes to handling its a little top heavy in stock form, i think the handling is pretty accurate and nimble, but i may be wrong. Its is also a durable quad in my opinion. Maybe not the strongest like a DS, but it sure itsnt as fragile as a Z frame. And i think the engine is made fairly reliably. Again, maybe not the best, but definately not the worst either.

thanks for replies and keep em comin! BTW, is it difficult to install a new rear axle by myself?

Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

You can see by my set-up below that I'm running almost the exact set-up as you inquired about. My Raptor works great on the MX track. The only thing I wish I would have done different is go with a zero pre-load rear shock that's adjustable for compression and rebound.
Depending on where you race, classes may be set up by experience or by displacement or a combination of the 2. If the classes are set up by displacement, you will only be able to race the open class with the expert/pro riders on 250R's and 450's can race. I think it would be better to go by experience level and not worry so much about displacement. I don't think I have ever gotten beyond 3rd gear anyway.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

so should i go with +2, or +3 a arms. Does anybody recommend a certain brand a arms? what type of axle should i get? I was planning on gettin a durablue. Should i get an adjustable one? If i get +3 arms and a +5 axle, wouldnt that make my front an inch wider than the rear? isnt it better to be the other way around. I am doing this during the winter btw.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

If you wanna go all out and spend 2 grand.... then check out the Gibson Long Travel Front Suspension. +3" A-arms, long travel gullwing style arms, includes custom built 19" shocks, tie rods, bearings, bushings... it is HEAVEN.....

Old 09-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Oh... and only from www.kandkatv.com.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley & UBETRUN- What tires do you recommend for both mx/playriding for the raptor, and what swingarm length works best for the raptor and why? TIA!

Old 09-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ridley has more experience on the track but I'll give my setup. I like the Holeshot MX tires and the +2 swingarm. I've heard that a 1.5" swingarm is also good but with the 686, my Raptor was a wheelie machine and I traded a little turning radius for less front end lift.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

thanks ridley and all the others for the excellent information.

I understand what your saying about the +3 a arms and im going with the +5 rear end and +3's up front. Does anybody have a recommendation for a arms? i dont wanna go cheap but i prob cant afford the best so what are my options? what are the opinions on adjustable axle's? are they just as strong. Arent they the same thing as if i just put wheel spacers on? durablue or prm?

What exactly is a zero preload shock. How does that work? im definately gonna go with the zero preload and take your words on it but if anyone has time to explain wht exactly it is id appreciate it.

although top heavy in stock form, that can be mostly corrected when widened and lowered but being nimble im pretty sure is just inherant of the design of frame and with how everything is balanced and i like how the raptor is balanced and corners.

i still would like to do some trail riding. is it absolutely impossible when im that wide. If i have to relinquish one or the other im staying with MX...theres nothin like flying through the air and landing like your hitting air! smooth smooth smooth

Is it difficult to install a rear axle. I have basic tools and i was able to teach myself how to do valve adjustments, so can i handle that or should i have the shop do it? same question goes for the a arms and shox:? will i need longer brake lines of anything?

Old 09-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Well, i have a set of 18X10-8 Kenda Klaws that i got free [cant beat that], and i love them to death. I ran ungrooved Turf Tamers earlier this year, and MX Holeshot rears last year,a nd i think the Kendas beat the heck out of those two. I havent tried the MXR's yet, i but ive heard good things about them, especially for four strokes. So, far [2 races] i've loved my klaws, they hook up great. I used Custom Grooved MX Radials up front last season and the beginning of this season, and when they lost their freshness, i decided to get some MX Holeshot 20" fronts.... they are great too. This has been the best combo of tires i have had yet. The kendas have held up great, even driving down the 1/4 mile asphault road [my drag strip] to my MX track at my house. No notticable rollover in turns either.

As for the Zero-Preload shocks... the system uses a short, soft spring at the top of the shock, just above the main springs. This spring is soft enough where you could almost compress it with your fingers, and when you sit on the quad, the whole thing squats about 2 inches lower. It is great for lowering the COG of the raptor and doesnt take away from the overall travel of the shock.

I went with a +1 swingarm, and it is great for everything in MX. But i dont know... if i end up getting the Craycraft 686, i might just have to go up a little longer, but like Ridley said, its all about how you ride... you really never know until you ride it.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

IM running the Kenda Klaws XC. I went with XC as i also do a lot of trail riding. for this reason I didnt go with the MX tyres. The XC's are very similar, but more durrable than the MX's. They are without doubt the best tyres ive used. check my pics out

As far as extending your swingarm for MX, I wouldnt reccomend that. It will change the bikes behaviour in the air, and it will affect your turning circle. Not good for getting out of the corners as fast as possible.

"Zero preload" or "Self-Sagging Device" (SSD). The SSD gives the suspension maximum traction and stability at the beginning of the stroke while ensuring excellent impact resistance at the end of it. This feature lowers the height — and therefore the centre of gravity — of the ATV, resulting in easier turns and better weight transfer.

Quick Reply: r mx mods for rappy big impovements?