Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Darn screws

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn screws

Can someone please tell me why Yamaha feels the need to way over-torque the Throttle Valve Cover screws? Is this common? I just picked up my brand new Raptor last week. Haven't even ridden it yet. I was trying to put a twist throttle on and when I went to take off the TVC, the screws were so tight I stripped out the heads of 2 of them. I am quite strong and I still had problems. I was pushing the screwdriver into the head of the screws so hard to try to get it to grip that the whole quad slid. I had to push it up against my truck so it would stay put.

Still, 2 screws ruined. Had to go get my drill from my place, go back to my parent’s house (where the quad is), drill out the screws and use a screw extractor to get them out. It really ruined my whole night. I'm still dumbfounded as to how the threads didn’t strip from over tightening. Same thing happened with the carbs. I stripped out the heads of 3 of the 8 screws holding the float chambers. Had to drill and extract those too. But of course this had to happen after I already went to the hardware store to get the other screws I needed. And to top it all off, the twist throttle is missing a part and sticks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I found this out AFTER I cut the stock grip off the handlebar. Now I have to put the thumb throttle back on, and glue 1 grip on just so I can go riding this weekend. Then I have to get a new set of grips cause the new twist throttle is coming next week. What a waste. Now I have to install my Stage 3 Alba exhaust kit. It better go smoothly or I'm gonna lose it for sure. These past 2 nights have really tried my patience. Ok, I'm done venting now.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Damn screws

next time put the screw driver in the head of the screw and knock da **** outta it with a hammer and they break loose easily

Old 09-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Damn screws

I can't bring myself to do that. If I broke the carb by accident cause I hit it too hard with a hammer, I'd be pretty upset with myself.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Damn screws

I have the same problems on my grizzly 600, only with the screws that hold the gas tank, i used the ''hit it with the hammer'' trick, and it got them out....but those screws where in there pretty tight. sounds like you are starting off on the wrong foot with the raptor, lol

Old 09-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Damn screws

you have to use an impactor. loosensa anything with a swing of a hammer, or maybe a coupleimpactor so you know what i'm talking about

Old 09-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Damn screws

when you get them out replace them with some nice stainless steel alan screws.

The hammer trick is fine,,,,,,its not like your driving a 16 penny nail,,,just a few taps. Use a new screwdriver that fits the screws also (#2). Anything else will just strip out.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Damn screws

ahhh yes the stupid screws....had the same prob on a blaster, got some vise grips gripped the hell out of it and out it goes!