Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor electrical dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor electrical dilemma

Hey everybody, I 've got 2 weeks on my freshly rebuilt tranny with no problems whatsoever. I just have one problem though. Every time I hit the brakes my neutral light goes super dim. The same goes for my headlights. I'll be riding at night, hit the brakes and the headlights almost go totally off. I replaced the battery 2 months ago, so I don't think it would be that. The bike runs fine and starts fine, it's just those damn headlights! Also, tonight I was messing around with the bike, turning the headlights off and on when I smelled a faint burning odor that seemed to be coming from somewhere under the seat. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a short, but it could be a bad ground.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

definitely sounds like a ground problem to me. Check the ground lead to the motor just above the sprocket, take it off and clean it anyway even if it looks alright. Also check and clean the battery cables. The indicator lights are always hot (12V) and work off grounds via the CDI and shift sensors.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mike,

Do you have any Idea how many people have replaced their own tranny via your website? Just curious. How many have supported the site out of those numbers if you don't mind me asking.

I've thought about putting together a Raptor help type site but the picture taking and time involved keeps me from doing it. I'll just stick to videos. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Any block offs yet?

Old 09-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Im gonna order a few from somewhere else, with the hurricane last week, flooding this week, phone and power problems its just been a mess here lately so I havent had a chance to check up on my guy who was going to machine them.

I would estimate maybe 10% actually email me with questions on the rebuild, I have gotten hundreds of emails so..

Its been plenty good though, I sold them stickers a while back and they paid for the hosting ($9 a month) for quite some time yet. I will keep it up forever and add stuff as I get time, I have a few other guides I am working on too like removing broken swingarm bolts with screw extractors broke off in em (it was easier than I thought with a stick welder and a spare bolt)

I'll send you a pm in a sec.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree about the problem. It sounds like a bad ground, hopefully.

007 you have raptortranny stickers????
Also if you ever need any pics let me know. I always have something tore up or down that I can take some picutres, step by step, of. Matter of fact the one way is out now and probably going into the head this week. Anything just send me a pm. I figure I owe you one, actually more than one but..., so anyway I could help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]