Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Tires - All Trak's, Sur Trak's, or Spider Traks

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Tires – (looking for opinions, preferably based on experience)

I know, here we go again, but hey I’m a newbie what can I say.

Sorry to bother everyone with yet another tire question, but I could use some advice to help me make a decision on which tires to get for my Warrior

After much research (well actually web surfing) I have narrowed my choices down to these, All Trak’s, Sur Trak’s, or Spider Tracks. I was planning on keeping the stock size or possibly going up a little for some extra ground clearance. I don’t know if there is any advantage to changing the stock front Dunlop’s (any opinions on this?), so I will probably keep them until they wear-out. This ATV is primarily used for casual trail riding, and the terrains I ride in consist mostly of sand, dirt and mud, with an occasional dose of red clay. While I did not get this machine for its prowess in mud, I do have to cross some sloppy mud holes at times.

I have noticed the All Trak’s, and Sure Trak’s appear to be manufactured by two different tire companies Cheng Shin, and Maxxis. The tires look identical and both have the same 2-ply rating, however the Cheng Shin’s are definitely cheaper. Does anyone know what the story is with this? Are there any quality/reliability concerns with the Cheng Shin tires?

Old 09-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Range Rover
Default Warrior Tires - All Trak's, Sur Trak's, or Spider Traks

I ride my Quadracer under similar conditions, and the Sur-Traks perform very well. They get good traction in the mud, but are still light enough to get sideways. My buddy has SpiderTraks on his Warrior and they seem to be heavy and affect the handling in a negative way. They are very good in mud though.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

None of the above (Tried Sur-trak and didn't like them). I run ITP XTC's (6ply) on my warrior. 23" up front and 22" in rear (i think) anyways these are the ones with the angled knobbies on the outer row of tread. this design make sliding the warrior managable.

i don't know what you have for mods...but my warrior is piped w/ a motoforce airbox lid, dial-a-jet and a tourque stuffer. these have helped give me obtain a nice tourquey lowend...which helps break the rears for powerslides. when it comes time to making it hook up again...the ITP grab nicely.

they also get rid of the rolly polly feeling of the stockers...this is no big shocker, because just about any tire you buy will be better than stock.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

I had good luck with the sur-tracs.Was very good mud tire on my old Big Bear. Buddy had all-tracs on a warrior. liked them very well. Got all tracs for my wolvy haven't rode them much yet. Don't know much about cheng shin but I like maxxis products.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, interestingly enough I have just learned that Maxxis Tire is owned by Cheng Shin who also does the manufacturing.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I've ran cheng shin tires on my Harley. Nothing great just a cheap get by rest of the season tire.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

I have used the maxxis all traks before on a warrior and I wish I could give a detailed analysis of how my life changed because of it but to tell you the truth I didn't notice alot. Not that they were bad I just don't think they were great. I did put some 6 ply maxxis razr's on the front of that warrior and that was definitely a difference. Razr's are by far a better tire than the all traks except maybe in mud.... everything sucks in sand unless it has paddles so the all traks really didnt make a difference there. If it were me in your case I wouldn't use any of the "jack of all trade" tires. I would use Razr's all around... Razr 2's if you can afford them. Just make sure you get at least 4 ply and in your case since you do alot of trail riding 6 ply would be best.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

Regardless of what tire you decide to go with, the best mod you can do to any quad is to get the OE tires off and put on some decent aftermarket tires. Don't buy a tire because it is cheaper, There usually a reason why. The tires you were talking about may both be made by the same company but they are probably made to different spec's and have different properties. JMO

Old 09-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

You should also consider the fact that most aftermarket tires and rims are heavier than stock. This will affect the power to the ground feeling. I had the Sur Traks and found them to be an incredibly tough tire. My friend uses them on his 65hp banshee, and they have held up extremely well.

The Sur Traks will do much better in mud and sand than Razrs. That should be obvious. The Razrs will get way more bite on a track, or hard pack.

I have always wondered what the All Traks would be like. They look like they have a ton of bite, with enought room between the treads to do some cleaning out.

But just remember, the aftermarket ones are heavier, and will slow your machine's acceleration down.

And as far as improving handling, they may improve the 'tippyness' feel, but if they will most likely have very stiff sidewalls, an you will feel much more of the trails up through the bars and through the chassis.

If you are duning, then that is a different matter altogether....

Old 09-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have maxxis All Traks on the rear of my Warrior, and Have been pretty happy with them so far. They're great in mud, are very easy to slide the @ss end with. Not bad tires for the money.

Quick Reply: Warrior Tires - All Trak's, Sur Trak's, or Spider Traks