Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone running Alba Stage 3 Raptor kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running Alba Stage 3 Raptor kit?

I just got mine recently. I finished putting it all together a couple days ago. I got the full exhaust, jet kit, proflow adapter with K&N filter with outerwear and a engine crankcase breather. I have a couple of questions about it. I'd call Alba, but they are closed ATM cause they are moving to a new location.

1) Does your Alba pipe have the black oval Team Alba racing emblem on the muffler? It has one in the picture on their website. Mine doesn't have one. I really don't care, but I think they may have sent me the wrong one. They sell a "Factory Second" kit for a lot less money cause they were not manufactured correctly. They say its just a fit issue. They perform exactly the same as the Team Alba pipe, but they require "encouragement" and some "tweaking" to get it to fit properly on the quad. And well, lets just say that my rubber mallet had to "encourage" the exhaust system quite a bit before it fit. So those 2 factors are making me believe they sent me the cheaper pipe when I paid for the better one.

2) What jetting are you using? They sent me a 155 and 160 main jets, 2 pilot and 2 needles. I am riding mostly at sea level. I have the clip on the 4th position from the top of the needles. Thats what Alba told me to do, but I just want to check with you guys. The 2 pilot jets are the same size right? I know the mains are different, but I'm not sure about the pilots. I believe the stock pilots are the same, so I just figured the ones Alba sent me were the same also.

3) Did they send you springs with your pipe? There are hooks on the pipes for springs, but I did not get any with mine. Another reason I think I may have got the "Factory Second" kit.

Also, whats the deal with these K&N filters? How do you clean them and how often? I am used to running a foam filter and this type is new to me.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm running the Alba pipe w/race tip. With mine came the retaining springs & a stick-on Alba decal for the pipe which I think looks better without. I looked at their website & saw the 'seconds' they were offering, but you still should get springs to keep the pipes together. Can't help you with jetting since I'm running a Dyno-Jet @ 4500'. I've never had any trouble w/ Alba they didn't resolve to my satisfaction. The K&N will need cleaning based on where you ride, & there is a kit you can get for that, I just lightly blow it off with compressed air & recoat it if needed. Hope this was useful

Old 09-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Well, your jetting sounds about right with the lid on, with lid off i'd move a size.....as for the pipe, you should definitly call back as soon as you can.....As for the filter, it's real easy to manage...buy yourself the k&n recharger kit...comes oil and cleaner, instructions on box...depends where your riding but I clean mine after every major ride...Most of my riding is done at the dunes...

Old 09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I would also advise calling them asap. It sounds to me like you got hosed(intentionally or not) with the pipe. It defiantely sounds like you got the "discount" pipe. Although I would also say that if I had to of forced it that much I would have stopped before the install was complete to get down to the bottom of it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] And about the K&N, welcome to the world of Non-foam filters!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was also of the foam filter persuasion and like the K&N set up much better. Just like your foam filter just clean it when you can noticable see dirt on the element. Good luck with the pipe and have fun with that Alba Raptor! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm jealous........ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

DeMag
Im running their stage 3 kit also.
My pipe fit perfectly. It came with a stick on Alba emblem that I left off,It also came with all the springs needed.
The jet kit they sent me is identical to the jets they sent you and its spot on. At first I thought it was gonna be too lean soo I bought richer jets, I ended up using the jets they sent me.
Your gonna need to keep that filter clean. I find Im cleaning a lot more often. A clean filter lets the motor produce max HP.
Which , by the way I was a little dissapointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. My bike dynoed at 45 HP after the install. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] even though I still outrun my fair share of "Shees" in 300 ft. Im not convinced the "Rocket Scientist" doing the test was as sharp as a tack though.
Hope you got the stronger clutch springs too, your gonna need em !!!!
I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and have found that I have to adjust the valves pretty often also.
Anyone out there know if this is common after such upgrades?
Im thinking about a bigbore kit this winter.
Anyone know of a GOOD RELIABLE kit over 700ccs?

Old 09-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadbart
DeMag
Im running their stage 3 kit also.
My pipe fit perfectly. It came with a stick on Alba emblem that I left off,It also came with all the springs needed.
The jet kit they sent me is identical to the jets they sent you and its spot on. At first I thought it was gonna be too lean soo I bought richer jets, I ended up using the jets they sent me.
Your gonna need to keep that filter clean. I find Im cleaning a lot more often. A clean filter lets the motor produce max HP.
Which , by the way I was a little dissapointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. My bike dynoed at 45 HP after the install. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] even though I still outrun my fair share of "Shees" in 300 ft. Im not convinced the "Rocket Scientist" doing the test was as sharp as a tack though.
Hope you got the stronger clutch springs too, your gonna need em !!!!
I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and have found that I have to adjust the valves pretty often also.
Anyone out there know if this is common after such upgrades?
Im thinking about a bigbore kit this winter.
Anyone know of a GOOD RELIABLE kit over 700ccs?
I think that I would be extremly happy with a raptor and a $350 pipe that dyno'd at 45 RWHP.....that sounds tough to me!

Old 09-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't about to send the pipe back, so I just put it on anyway. If it performs the same as the good pipe, I don't mind having to "modify" it a little. It would have been a bigger headache to ship it back and wait another week or 2 to get the new pipe. I still will not take it off. I will just ask for a refund of the price difference. I don't believe they did this on purpose. They are currently in the process of moving to another location and every time I called recently they were very busy, and in that environment, it is easy to make a mistake like this.

About the pipe. The flanges on my headers are about 1/2 inch away from the cylinder. I think that is normal. But am not sure. Are your flanges touching the motor?

Quadbart....AlphaRaptor660R suggested going up a size on the jets with the lid off. You said the jets are spot on. Do you mean they are spot on with the airbox lid on or off?

I always clean my filters after every ride when riding in the dunes. And I will continue to do so. I just wasn't sure whether this type of filter required any more or less maintenence then the foam type. I'll pick up one of those K&N kits this weekend.

I have not purchased any clutch springs. Is it REALLY necessary? I was so happy when I felt how easy it was to squeeze this clutch lever.

Anyone else have to adjust their valves often? Is it hard to do? I'm used to 2 strokes so all this is somewhat new to me.

Thanks again guys.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, Im running the exact same kit you are.
11:1 piston
stage 3 cam (more top end)
titanium valve springs
K&N proflow filter kit (No air box Lid,once you install the filter, the lid wont fit anymore)
Full race pipe
Alba jet kit, Needles, clip set at top, 27.5 pilot jets in both carbs, 155 & 160 mains.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

You can still put the lid on..you just have to cut off the plastic posts under the lid......thats what i did...i'm running 155 & 160 mains, lid-on, snorkel off, with gytr plate adapter and K&N with gytr slip-on...runs great..

Old 09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Ah, ok. I have the stock piston, stock cam, and stock valve springs. They refer to the exhaust pipe, jets, and filter kit as "Stage 3." I guess you got the Stage 3 motor mods. Sorry for the mix up.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Alba Stage 3 Raptor kit?