Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how did you get involved (in atv riding)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how did you get involved (in atv riding)?

Originally posted by: roosthrower
some of you guys are really old or maybe i'm just young.
If you're under 40 you're just young.

If you're over 40, you're "later young" (if you still ride a 2 stroke)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

I used to hate dirtbikes and quads, then my brother-in-law bought a 01 Raptor. So I rode it once and loved it. He rarely ever rode it so I borrowed it alot. And finally talked him into selling it to me. Then a few of my Friends followed suit and bought Raptors. Now we go all the time, which by the way I need to leave now for the dunes.........see ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2003, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

When I was bout 10 my uncle bought a brand spankin new Kawasaki Bayou 400. It was the best available at the time. 400cc, liquid cooled, 4x4. He still has it, the damn thing is a dinosaur now. I keep trying to get him to get a new quad but it hasn't happened yet. I'll bet he buys a Scrambler 400 this summer though.

I started out riding this thing in his yard, just putting around. Then in 98 or 99 my grandpa got a Prarie 400 and I rode it a little. The used them to ride for hunting in WV and some pleasure riding as well. I decided I needed one, too. So in 2000 I bought my 97 Wolverine used for $4200. I knew nothing about them and it was a complete dog when I got it home. Ran fine, no problems, but had no power. My buddy rode his brother-in-laws when we went riding one day and his was WAY more powerful than mine. That's when I was sure something was wrong. Took it to the dealership ... the little plastic plunger inside the carb .. was in about 5 pieces. They didn't know how it had ran so long like this. Yamaha tough, I tell ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So they rebuilt my carb and got it properly jetted for that loud DG full system and since then there has been no turning back! Runs like a raped ape.

About a month ago I bought the Cannondale and I'm now entering this whole sport quad business at the ripe age of 19. It sure looks fun and I'm looking forward to using my American made machine to kick the butts of the new Yamis and Hondas both.

Ride long and prosper!

Old 09-27-2003, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider

Long story shortened up a bit...no one on this forum could have been cursed more than I with the childhood desire for wheels and an engine...and parents that just didn't get it! My senior year in high school I finally convinced my folks that I'd earned the right to ride and bought my own CR250. Things after high school didn't go exactly as planned...folks got divorced and I chose the boot and had to sell. Then in January of 2002, my mother and her husband got new neighbors and when I met them my passion for riding was reignighted. They invited my daughter and I to go riding one weekend and the next weekend I bought my DS. The passion must be a genetic trait, recessive gene or something, cause my kid loves it as much as I do and is a natural. She rode her blaster for a year, outgrew it and now rides red, Viper Red!

Jim[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

I was in some ways the same boat as jim. as a kid, i had a rusty gas tank, ran-for-10-mins-before-shutting-off-for-the-day handa 110 3 wheeler. Being able to get 10 mins of ride time every day when my buddies rode all of the time sucked! so, we sold it, and about 6 or 7 years later, i became friends with 2 guys who rode, one had a warrior, blaster, a 'zuki 280, and numerous little bikes, and the other a 'Shee. My parents never would really approve, put on a guilt trip and all, but 2 weeks ago, i said screw it, and purchased my very own hot-rodded warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] funny thing is....my parents like it too......weird

Old 10-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

It all started with a Honda ATC 110, when I wore that out beyond help, I got a Honda 200 "Big Red" ATC, and rode that for awhile, until I locked that up. Went without anything for a few years till I was about 16 or 17, bought me a nearly new 97 warrrior, back before all the high performance stuff came. Was introduced to Little Sahara OK, and decided the Warrrior wasnt enough. Now I have a 86trx250r and the Warrior still for ole pops to ride.

Wouldnt have it any other way.........

---------------
86 trx250r
97 warrior

Old 10-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

My dad put me on a ATC 70 three wheeler when I was 4 years old in 1977. When I got a little older & learned how to shift, My dad put a 90 engine he had laying around in my ATC 70 frame. I have been hooked ever since. I rode the 90 until I was 12 years old when my dad let me jump on the big bad 185s. The whole family had bikes & we went to pismo all the time. I've been going to pismo as long as I can remember. I still love it over there even though they have fenced a lot of it off.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I guess it all started when I was about 9 or 10. Three of my neighbors in our apartment complex had motorcycles (pit bike or some kind, an old Honda 80, and a new Kawasaki 80). When mom wasn't around I'd catch a ride through a field (now a freeway...my how things have changed). I used to love them and wanted one. But mom was, well, mom. "Too dangerous!" yadda yadda yadda. Well, last November or so my friends (different ones) invite me to go ride with them in field. I went and at the end was told to hope on my friends Warrior and play around. Well, I did. I got hooked. It's like crack. One hit and you're addicted.

One month later I rented a 250ex at Pismo and knew I had to get one. So in February I bought my own Warrior. And wow, mom was not a happy camper when I told her I bought it...and I was 26. But she doesn't like anything that's fun.

I've done my duties and introduced the girlfriend to riding and she seems to like it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

I guess my story started back in middle school. My buddy's dad bought an '84 Suzuki Quadrunner new. As everyone knows, riding by yourself sucks, so when my great uncle died and left some money to my brother and I, we went in together and bought an '85 Quadsport used. My buddy then upgraded to an '87 Warrior. In college we sold the Quadsport to pay for tuition. About 3 years ago I started to get back into it and located an 85 Tri-Z. Riding alone again, so found a deal on a 350X. The girlfriend couldn't start either of them so I sold the Tri-Z and got a 400EX for her. Since then added a BW 200 (now sold) an 83 Honda 200x from a guy at work, an '86 Suzuki Quadracer and a pair of '86 Tri-Z's. That's where I today. Gotta love those "old time" trikes and quads from the eighties. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I buy them and fix them up just to keep them alive for the next generation. Anyone looking for a Tri-Z or a 200x?

Old 10-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

I started when I was 7 when we bought our very first quad, a Yamaha Breeze, it was a nice kid quad to learn on, then a few years later I got a Yamaha RT 100 dirtbike, then a few quads and bikes later here i am today

Quick Reply: how did you get involved (in atv riding)?