Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What does the TPS do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the TPS do?

Throttle position sensor... what's it's function?

What I understand thus far is that the TORS has (2) basic components:

#1: throttle switch
#2: carb switch

The TORS has (1) basic function:

telling the CDI to stop sending spark

I'm thinking out loud here...

throttle closed (thumb lever not pushed) = throttle switch closed: normal
throttle closed = carb switch closed: normal
throttle open = throttle switch open: normal
throttle open = carb switch open: normal
Ignition (CDI) works normal

Throttle switch open/carb switch open & cable (or something breaks) either the throttle or the carb switch closes and tells the ignition to stop.

I'm cleaning up all the wiring. There's so much in there that I don't need. I think I'll keep the saftey system in place - at least for now.

Has anyone else every "worked" with a TORS system? Lots of bikes (if not most) have them.

selector

Old 09-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I think you've summarized the concept and function very well.

I am wondering if you can pull apart the connector or connectors before the two switches, thereby bypassing both tors switches (carb and throttle) and not have any problems?

Selector, check the very last page of the shop manual with the full wiring schematic, maybe you allready have, and let me know what you think. I'm in the process of installing a twist and trying to get around the TPS on the stock throttle.. any ideas??

Old 09-26-2003, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Selector, check the very last page of the shop manual with the full wiring schematic, maybe you allready have, and let me know what you think. I'm in the process of installing a twist and trying to get around the TPS on the stock throttle.. any ideas??
Hey! I've been looking for the completly labeled diagram. Thanks.

But there's a third component (now that I've seen the #14 item):

the throttle postition sensor itself - interesting

I'm in the office and away from the machine, but it appears (in the diagram) that the TPS has a quick connect. I know that guys have disconected them (on YZ450fs) and run without just fine. I'll need to wait until I get home to look at a working example (my wife's). The connector shown is somewhere in the rats nest below the front plastic - I think. I have mine all torn apart right now - 10 miles of copper in there. I'll find the connector on her's if it's not a big deal and see what happens when I break the connection.

I'll look into it further.

edit: I'm assuming that the TPS is a resistor of some sort as shown on the diagram and is somehow varied by the position of the switches. Seems that WFO would cause the least resistance in the TPS, thereby telling the CDI to spark it's little **** off. Hmmmm... I are ain't know engineer though.

selector

Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

TPS -

In the automotive world the TPS delivers a signal from about .5v (closed throttle) to about 5v (WFO) to the ECM.

In the automotive world it is used for "accelerator pump" calculations, to disable the EGO sensor while WFO, and to control some idle & anti-stall parameters.

In the carbureted Motorcycle world, it's used to provide a 3D timing map.

Motorcycles/ATVs without a TPS sensor have a 2D timing map - ignition timing is strictly a function of RPM.

With the TPS sensor, throttle position is introduced to the equasion. This means that since the "computer" knows that you are at a lower throttle position, it can give the engine more timing and make part throttle settings more responsive.

Disconnecting the TPS will cause the computer to default to it's WOT timing settings & will likely not hurt your straight line acceleration, but it will likely hurt your part throttle response & rideability.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

great infor 1986atc250Pror,

So without moving thus subject too far off Selectors thougth...I would like to know if you can disable the TORS system on the YFZ450 for installation of a twist throttle without affecting the performance/operation of the TPS?

How should the disconnect of the TORS system be addressed for a twist throttle??