Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96db is bullcrap!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96db is bullcrap!!

Unfortunately guys we're just gonna have to face it......we're an EASY target. For the most part the general population is inexperienced with OHV's and consequentally easy to misinform. And this is just the begining. There are some areas that enforce the law with MUCH more that will soon as well. Why? Because, again we're an easy target, and a battle this is much easier won than the fight that all the tree huggers try to fight with automotive manufacturers, industrial plants, blah, blah, blah........ If you really want to do something about it. Get involved, join a coalation, club, AMA, some sort of legal organization that supports the rights of OHV users. If your not supporting in shape, way, or form....... sitting on here saying, "this sucks......." isn't gonna do squat and your just wasting your typing time. Yes it sucks, but its starting to be a losing battle. Personally I think its up to the exhaust manufacturers to step up to the plate and design exhausts that meet the db rating and still produce hp gains. FMF and some other exhuast companies have done it, why cant others? Because we continue to by thier products as is. If your determined to ride with an exhaust that doesn't meet these req's most of the companies offer "quiet core" tips. Yea, they hurt power output, but I'd rather be able to ride at my favorite riding spot with 3-4 less ponies than sitting on my butt complaining about how I don't have anywhere to ride. Just food for thought......

Old 09-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: selector
I'm having to re-look @ my Glamis trip because of the 96db thing. I know I won't pass and I are ain't mod'n my machine just to keep 'em happy. I guess I could pose as an ignorant tourist...

selector
Just be careful...from what I've heard they will have check points at Glamis and if you don't pass you don't ride. The ingorance thing wont work either.....automatic $275 fine and possible repo of the bike. It sucks but that's CA for you.....

Old 09-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

just out run them like we have to do in good ole CT [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
they wont be happy to we cant ride anymore.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about you...But I for one, am sick of all the sh@t you have to go through to ride at Glamis!
I think I am going to go to Gordons Well!
Anyone been there in a while?Are they still running the sand drags?

Old 09-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Last time I was there was around March I think...I'm not sure what the hill is called but everyone was back there racing....

Old 09-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

Waaaa Waaaa Waaaa! .......96 db is do-able ..........In Oregon we have to get down to 92-93 db........

Pack your silencers more often, and get quieter muffs.........Toomey silencers blow about 102 db, but the Cascade CSFX make just as much power, but really are quiet at 91-92 db.

how many 4 strokes need to run some obscene 15-20 disks in a SuperTrapp or E-series either?

Yup, I know as you've been totally able to run loud open pipes this must suck to some of you, but other riding areas have been noise critical for many years now and it KEEPS RIDING AREAS OPEN to be quiet!!!!!!!!

when are people going to learn that NOISE doesn't equal power?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

If I have to, I'll buy a quieter exhaust...but the thing that really gets to me is why the hell do we have to be all quiet in the middle of freaking nowhere?! I'll probably just end up buying the MBRP system and just not worry about it anymore...

Old 09-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

I was out there this last weekend and I was riding my 400ex with a biggun race pipe and my buddy was riding a banshee with drag pipes no silencers and the rangers gave him a ticket for no lights, they didn't say anything about the pipes at all. I think your all getting worried for nothing. That same law was in effect last year and they didn't enforce it then either.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I fart louder than 96db.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Heapster

when are people going to learn that NOISE doesn't equal power?
Ok....heres a scenario from 2 weeks ago. I was in a desert race where bikes and quads were racing together. I was doing about 50+ mph across some washboard and brushed out area. I was about to cut to the left to a more open line, when a dirtbike came upon me doing well over 70 and passed me on the left. If it wasn't for hearing his louder pipe...I would have cut in front of him and had one seriously tragic accident. So noise doesn't equal power...but it will save you from injury. Call me a "conspiracy theorist", but doesn't it seem like these laws will cause more accidents and give the greenies more power to say how dangerous ATV's and dirtbikes are???? Just my opinion...I could be wrong......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 96db is bullcrap!!