Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Jumping, and landing a raptor vs yfz

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003 | 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Jumping, and landing a raptor vs yfz

oops, thanks for catchin me on that one Rid. compression, thats what i meant, sorry. and i wasnt 100% sure about that rebound thing, i was just speculating, sorry. and thanks, i learned something today! see? skipping school doesnt mean you wont learn things!

Old 10-04-2003 | 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

G'day guys.

Anyone have any links to places that have info on the art of tuning suspensions, especially for m/x.

Thanks from down under, Geoff.

Old 10-04-2003 | 07:01 PM
Range Rover

Ask your buddy who flys so high in his YFZ and see if he can help you make yours fly like his.

Secondly refer to your owners manual for suspension adjustment. I use a hammer and a screwdriver since I dont have the special wrench.

Old 10-05-2003 | 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

Heres the front suspesion on my raptor(elka shocks and A Arms)on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435539570

Im either going to sell the raptor or give it to my wife,havnt decided yet.The elka shocks make ahuge difference in the whoops and jumping over the stock raptor shocks.Theyre way plusher than the front shocks on my yfz 450

Old 10-05-2003 | 08:36 PM
|
Range Rover

I might be interested in those shocks and a-arms... can you explain the 0-preload theory/operation to me?? Would they be good for both trail and mx riding?

Old 10-05-2003 | 08:41 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: HackerHunter
Ask your buddy who flys so high in his YFZ and see if he can help you make yours fly like his.

Secondly refer to your owners manual for suspension adjustment. I use a hammer and a screwdriver since I dont have the special wrench.

The guy is completely insane, he doesnt care if he gets hurt, or how badly, he doesnt learn from pain... I told him he outa think about it, he just got married and is looking to buy a house. Im already married and have a house, I cant afford to miss too much work, they were a little upset when I dislocated my arm, I dont want it to happen again... hurt like hell, we put it back into socket right there when it happened. I held onto the bumper, pulled out and my buddy got underneath my arm with his shoulder and stood up... it worked the first time, and the 2nd cause it fell outa socket again after I got my shirt and helmet back on and had to do it again.

Old 10-05-2003 | 08:49 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stevegnc112
Heres the front suspesion on my raptor(elka shocks and A Arms)on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435539570

Im either going to sell the raptor or give it to my wife,havnt decided yet.The elka shocks make ahuge difference in the whoops and jumping over the stock raptor shocks.Theyre way plusher than the front shocks on my yfz 450
I weight 160 lbs.... would they be the wrong ones for me by way to much ya think?

Old 10-05-2003 | 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

Zero preload has no tension on the springs(or very little)this allows the quad to sit lower in the travel for better cornering then when you become airborn the shock extends out giving you full travel for the landing.When you gas it you can actually watch the suspension extend out.I used these for mx and trail riding both,I just set the compression adjuster at full soft for trail riding.These shocks feel just as plush as the stock shocks except have way more travel and dont bottom out all the time.
I had the elka conversion in the rear but I didnt like it so I had it revalved for the stock spring(not zero preload in rear)And it works great for me that way(plush withiut bottoming.

Old 10-05-2003 | 09:07 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: stevegnc112
Zero preload has no tension on the springs(or very little)this allows the quad to sit lower in the travel for better cornering then when you become airborn the shock extends out giving you full travel for the landing.When you gas it you can actually watch the suspension extend out.I used these for mx and trail riding both,I just set the compression adjuster at full soft for trail riding.These shocks feel just as plush as the stock shocks except have way more travel and dont bottom out all the time.
I had the elka conversion in the rear but I didnt like it so I had it revalved for the stock spring(not zero preload in rear)And it works great for me that way(plush withiut bottoming.
OK, so does that mean that the springs are completely compressed when you are riding, is that what you mean by no tension? If there is no tension on the the springs when you are sitting on it, what keeps the shocks from compressing all the way then... I dunno, can you explain it maybe a little diffrently? I appreciate the help man, I just like to understand everything that I do to stuff, wether it be my truck, guns, or 4wheeler... I hate just throwing parts on something expecting it to fix a problem without knowing how it works and solves the problem, ya know?

Old 10-05-2003 | 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

The springs are only completly compressed when the shocks are bottomed out.On a normal shock you would adjust the lock collar down to the point that it touches the spring then measure the spring lenth,say its 10 inches then if you would want 1" of preload you would keep cranking the spring down untill the sping measures 9".On a no preload shock wherever you adjust the lock collar changes how high or low the quad sits.The collar only touches a very weak spring(keeps it from rattling or coming apart) thus no preload.Hope this helps.