Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WHAT MAIN JET SHOULD I USE FOR A WOLVERINE WITH AN IDS SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rejetting wolverine cards.

What is the best jet to use with the IDS Supertrapp exhaust on a 01EXHAUST Wolverine? I have tried everything from 140 TO 155 and it still cuts out @ full throtle causing the exhaust to over heat. Please help me with this matter!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHAT MAIN JET SHOULD I USE FOR A WOLVERINE WITH AN IDS SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST?????????????

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU WRITE IN CAPS ALL THE TIME PEOPLE THINK YOUR YELLING AT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, jetting can't be resolved by just adjusting one circuit. All the circuits overlap one another slightly. The pilot jet overlaps the range for the needle, and the needle overlaps the range for the main. What exactly do you mean when you say it cuts out? Is it popping and backfiring, or is it just dying out on you? Could it be the rev limiter your feeling?

Old 10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default WHAT MAIN JET SHOULD I USE FOR A WOLVERINE WITH AN IDS SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST?????????????

To eliminate any fuel problems to start with make clean you fuel lines, petcock, tank, and carb. This way you know everything is in good operating condition and eliminate dirt, foreign material and water from the equation. Now if all you have is a pipe and you are running minimal discs, then rejetting is probably not necessary. Put the maximum amount of discs you have on there and start out with the stock jetting. See what happens when you are running stock jets. If it does ok and runs ok then increase. Increase everytime it runs good until it cuts out or sputters and then drop back a step and you will be on the money. You might start out lean with the stock jet and it might not run quite right. Raise it up a step anyway and see if it clears up. If it does, then do what i said before.

If the stock jet doesnt work the you will have to go up. One of the jets you have will have to work. If it runs when its stock then there is no reason you will need to jet leaner so you can only go up.

Each bike may run a little different and even more-so when different conditions are thrown in. So there is no set jet that everyone with just a Supertrapp pipe will run. If my bike was the same as yours with the same pipe, my jetting could be a little different than yours.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

There I fixed it is that better? But really it starts missing, runs at idle good but @ full throttle it misses like it is out of gas. What do you think the problem might be?

Old 10-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Next time you are running @ full throttle and it starts to miss, reach down and pull out the choke lever just a little, if it helps, pull it out a bit more. All this is doing is adding a little extra fuel. If it helps, you are jetted too lean and need a larger main jet. If it makes it worse, you are jetted a bit rich and need to make the main jet a bit smaller.

Hope this helps.

Ride on.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a ported airbox lid as well as Unifilter on my bike would this matter as far rejetting is concerned? Also I have tried your suggestions and adding and removing discs. It appears to run alot better but I still don't have great throttle response. Do you think I would need to try a bigger jet???

Old 10-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Should I try a 160 or a 165?? It appears to run better with the chock on.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

All you loose is time if you already have one and try it. Although I sounds pretty large. However, every bike is different to tune. I got tired of arguing with my wolverine about what jet it wanted, so I broke down and bought a Air/fuel ratio meter. It's a pretty nifty little device that has an led readout telling you what your fuel ratio is in the exhaust. had to drill a hole in the exhaust and weld in a bung fitting to screw an Oxygen sensor into, but man, let me tell you, it takes the guess work out. It proves too lean / too rich without having to guess @ sparkplug colors. I did this for riding in the mountains - above 9,000 ft. I have yet to do it for riding in the lowlands, but plan on it soon. A budy of mine has an extra head pipe.... contemplating welding a fitting into it and shipping the pipe and meter to anyone who needs it for a wolverine / warrior tune for a small fee.... any thoughts?

Ride on.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

I found my float level to be way off when I experienced the same problem. Added a Dial-A-Jet from Thunder Products and jetted per their advice and problem solved along with much increased performance and drivability at all elevations.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Forgot to mention that I highly recommend adjusting the valves on your Wolverine. I've worked on 3 of them that had poor valve settings when new or after break-in.