Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is a little too much oil really bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a little too much oil really bad?

well sometimes i think i would get a little foam even when i hat the right amount in.

Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

im prettty sure i recall if i pull out the dipstick seconds after riding like a mad man there would be a little it of bubbles or foam or whatever. Whats this about?

Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had more foam using Yamalube and since I switched to Kendal oil it does not break up that fast nor has any bubbles.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

ya know, i was thinkin. What causes oil to foam if the amount of oil u put in doesnt affect how much is in the crankcase. Isnt that the point of the oil reservoir. In other words, if the raptor was like a warrior and the oil went directly into the engine, then i could understand because the connecting rod is swishing through the oil. But in the raptor's setup, doesnt the oil pump or whatever determine how much is in the engine. And if i overfill too much, how is that different than if i got a pingry oil tank?

Maybe i just dont understand how this type of system works. I thought the oil was cycled through the engine and back to the reservoir and then back to the engine. So there is constantly some oil in the engine and some in the tank to replace the oil leaving the engine. As long as there is even a small amount of oil in the reservior, doesnt that mean there is more than enough oil to lube the engine? Cause the reservoir is just a reserve so that fresh oil can be cycled through the engine> correct?

I hope i didnt do any damage but im pretty sure there were time when i would have the right amount or maybe a little over (depending on when i checked it) and there was a slight foam. Not this foam, but bubbly oil. I really would like to understand this better. thanks

Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have to run my raptor with the oil on low on the dipstick, cos afeter a race when its hot it goes halfway up. And when i had too much in it pressurized and made the clutch slip.

it usually takes a few rides to settle the level.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

yeah but how can u have too much oil in this type of system? the oil isnt directly in the crankcase.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

A little too much oil or a little too little oil will not make a difference in a dry sump motor. As you have concluded, as long as there is enough oil in the reservoir to supply the oil pump, there is enough for the engine. The reason for having a substantial supply is to 1) have enough to supply the oil pump at high rpm's when more oil is flowed through the engine and 2) because more oil will dissapate heat better.(oil is allowed to "sit" momentarily while waiting to be pushed back through the engine and is in an air-cooled environment). The only danger in having too much oil is if expansion fill the reservoir and won't allow the oil in the head to flow out and into the reservoir. The resulting pressure could blow a gasket.

As far as the "bubbles" in your oil. This is nothing to worry about. This comes from air being pushed into the oil as it is flowed through the system and especially when going back into the reservoir. Any time you forcefully flow a liquid into a pool of that liquid, you will take air into the pool as well (like filling a bucket with a hose and watching the air come back up). The thickness of oil allows some of these bubbles to be trapped. There is not enough air in these "bubbles" to harm your engine as previously suggested. This is nothing to worry about. It's perfectly normal in any engine.

~HoundDog

Old 10-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

ooooo, my savior......hail hounddog. I was so worried that i messes up my motor. Although i have gotten some scary reading, i never really worried because i knew the idea of the raptors oil cycle a bit and knew oil was definately getting to the motor and too much oil didnt affect it because the oil does not all stay in the crancase, it just puts more in the reserve.

Hearing abou tthe FOAM, worried me. I knew i have had this situation many times and i was about to dig myself into a hole and kill myself it putting too much oil basically destroyed my quad. Thank for the post so much. I was seriously waiting for it! Happy trails!

Old 10-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

to much oil could also push out you seals and cause it to leak